Re: Create/Save/Load an equalizer setting file

Postby VLC_help » 31 Aug 2010 16:09

$(HOME)/.config/vlc/vlcrc

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 31 Aug 2010 17:04

Perfect! Much appreciated as I'm not (yet!) so adept as searching through the file structure, with GNU/Linux.

It seems all the variables to hold session-to-session settings are present, but are Commented-Out with hash-marks.

However, when I try to uncomment the line that should hold the frequency-response curve, all I have to do is open and close VLC, without even entering the equalizer function, and VLC rewrites the file, replacing the comment mark (#), making the line once again unavailable for holding any changes.

At least, vlcrc contains the provisions to hold all the variables, so one can only assume it will be functional in the next version.

:?: Any ideas, other than just waiting? How close is the next version to being released, anyway?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Sep 2010 17:38

It should work with current version.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 02 Sep 2010 00:45

Much appreciated if you could respond to the two points followed by the " :?: 's" to clarify the following sentence:
It should work with current version.
That sounds most encouraging, but let me echo back what I said, and what I understand that you're saying: I am trying to get the settings (especially the equalizer) to carry over from one session to the next (at the very least). You directed me to filename vlcrc, which, upon inspection, contains lines for holding the equalizer settings (and the settings for just about every other variable in the program, upon casual observation).

All the lines that could potentially hold variables, however, are commented-out (preceded by hash-marks).

I said I un-commented the first and second lines in the equalizer section, ran the player, accessed the equalizer, made changes, exited the player and reloaded vlcrc into the text editor. I noted that the pre-run edit (removing the hash marks) had been undone, apparently by VideoLAN rewriting vlcrc. I believe this involved only the first line of the equalizer section (but that is my recollection).

By saying "it should work" (my italics) I take it you are saying vlcrc should hold the variables.

This would require the line to remain un-hashed in addition to having the (in this case) equalizer settings appear in the variable's string. But this is not happening. Even if the string for the setting did appear, if it's commented out, it would never be read on the program's next 'run'.

:?: So, you are saying: you can't reproduce the result I obtained, so I should try again? Or, perhaps, I should go through vlcrc and remove hash marks on all variable lines? In this case, you would be saying, yes, it works, but you can't do it selectively for only two lines?

Or, you have other advice?

:?: Please expand on your comment, as it appears in the quoted section of this post. Since (you said) it should work, I need to know why what I did, did not.

Installed version 1.0.6 (Goldeneye) pre-compiled for Ubuntu Lucid

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Sep 2010 13:31

VLC should load settings stored in vlcrc on startup and use those unless they are overridden with command-line parameters. So if you have stored EQ settings to vlcrc and you have enabled EQ filter, it should use those settings.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 02 Sep 2010 21:44

:!: The follow-up question I had posted here is no longer relevant, for the reasons in the following post.
Last edited by MarEden on 03 Sep 2010 12:34, edited 2 times in total.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 03 Sep 2010 12:19

:?: Please expand on your comment, as it appears in the quoted section of this post. Since (you said) it should work, I need to know why what I did, did not.

Installed version 1.0.6 (Goldeneye) pre-compiled for Ubuntu Lucid
:oops: Possibly the above quote contained the answer to the question?

I have now installed 1.1.4, after discovering the most recent version would only display, after installing a special PPA. Up to that point, the package manager in Ubuntu Lucid showed nothing higher than v1.0.6, so I assumed that to be the highest.

:D After using the new version for for a few minutes, it's working more-or-less as you said it should.

"More-or-less" because it seems to be slightly tricky to get the setting to stick: for example, it seemed to fail if the video isn't running when changes are made, but on the next try, I stopped the video before exiting, and it worked, for whatever reason.

If there are details on how to use the equalizer so the settings always stick, that would be helpful. I looked at the on-line documentation when running the prior version, but don't recall details on this point.

If you can point to any documentation specific to this version on exactly how the equalizer works, most appreciated. Otherwise, some more trial-and-error may be in order.
Last edited by MarEden on 03 Sep 2010 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Sep 2010 09:40

There isn't any up to date documentation for VLC. If you do EQ changes via QT4 GUI they should apply immediately to current playing media file. If you want to permanently save those settings, then use vlcrc file.

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 04 Sep 2010 13:09

To make the settings permanent,
... then use vlcrc file.
I'm assuming what you mean by "use" is this: open vlcrc in the text editor, insert a string after the variable you want to change, then save and close, open VLC and you should expect to see the equalizer sliders where you want them.

Much appreciated if you could either give a 'yes' on this, or, if incorrect, tell me what steps you intended I should take, by the words, "use vlcrc file". It occurred to me the quoted words could also be a way of saying "VLC would 'use' the vlcrc file" to save the settings by itself, but after closing VLC, I looked with a text editor, and nothing was added to the file's equalizer lines.

Since the line for the equalizer is now blank, please advise as to the string-format VLC is expecting to see here, to properly read that line. A sample string, that would set any slider positions of your choice, might be the easiest way to make sure I have the right idea.

And, of course, please confirm that I am attempting to edit the correct line.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Sep 2010 15:17

You have to use Tools -> Preferences (Show settings: All) and change settings from there if you want to store the EQ settings to vlcrc. Settings aren't saved If you use Tools -> Effects and Filters
So after choosing these
and pressing save and restart, vlcrc should have something like

Code: Select all

[equalizer] # Equalizer with 10 bands # Equalizer preset (string) equalizer-preset=fullbass # Bands gain (string) equalizer-bands=0 2 4 2 0 -2 -4 -2 0 2 # Two pass (boolean) #equalizer-2pass=0 # Global gain (float) #equalizer-preamp=12.000000
If you want to automatically enable the EQ, then you have to also tick it from filters (+save and restart)
which will change following section in vlcrc

# Audio filters (string) audio-filter=equalizer

MarEden
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MarEden » 05 Sep 2010 15:46

Thanks very much. In looking at the beginning of the thread (I didn't start it) I'm sure many VideoLAN users will (also) be intrested in what you've posted.

I will try this out as soon as I get onto the netbook with Linux and VideoLAN (that's where I'm setting it up) and then get back to you if there are sill questions. Don't see how there could be, however. :D

mikewest
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikewest » 20 Nov 2010 15:34

Please add the functionality to save equalizer

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Postby videobruce » 27 Nov 2010 18:15

Interesting this thread is 4 1/2 years old and the issue doesn't appear to be resolved.

Issues;
1. Not having the easy ability to create a new custom preset and save it directly in "Effects & Filters" without hunting around within Advanced Preferences and modifying an existing preset.
2. There is no "Custom" choice in the advanced menu (apparently half the problem),
3. No ability in the GUI to delete all of the pre-defined presets.
4. Changing from whichever "preset" that you customized to another preset and returning erases any changes. You have to restart VLC to regain those saved changes.

skaendo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skaendo » 23 Feb 2011 04:49

Just wanted to say thanks. I was going to post about this, but after reading this thread 4 times I've edited the vlcrc.
Inspiron 1520, Core2Duo, 4gb, 320gb, Debian Squeeze, VLC1.1.3

jasonclarkkent
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jasonclarkkent » 19 Aug 2011 03:00

Come on, this feature seriously needs to be added so that the average user doesn't have to go online and start messing with numerous settings...

thirnick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thirnick » 30 Aug 2011 08:27

go to tools >preferences>audio.
lower left check all.
expand Audio.
click Filters not expand.
check eEualizer.
lower right save.
expand Filters
click Equalizer.
in Bands gain type 0 0 -2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 e.g.

Bob White
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bob White » 15 Nov 2011 18:16

Please add this feature! It would be a great convenience!

Thank you!

Bob White

toadoftoadhall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby toadoftoadhall » 27 Nov 2011 13:01

thread has been an incredible help in my settings of the equalizer.
I am hard of hearing, and so have had to increase the high freq every time in order to hear voices and music clearly. This has set my preferences perfectly.
It really should be easier, and simlple enough to program the changes to the ini or pref file.
thanks again to whoever it was posted the solution.

toad

toadoftoadhall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby toadoftoadhall » 27 Nov 2011 13:06

oh, also a pref for subtle sharpening of videos could also be done. I have to do this for so many videos.
toad

Zabalero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zabalero » 06 Mar 2012 00:16

Amazing how many years this have been claimed by users and amazing how deaf can some developers be.
MORE THAN 6 YEARS!!! asking for a feature it shoud have been since day 1.

I never have seen such a case like this.
This must be unique.!!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Mar 2012 19:27

Amazing how many years this have been claimed by users and amazing how deaf can some developers be.
MORE THAN 6 YEARS!!! asking for a feature it shoud have been since day 1.

I never have seen such a case like this.
This must be unique.!!
This is a feature request subforum. There isn't any guarantee that requests will be implemented.

lilman227
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lilman227 » 15 Mar 2012 22:14

(I'm new to the forum, but not the program). I'd personally love if the developers would implement the feature to easily save EQ settings. I was using itunes prior to VLC and honestly, I had more than 5 custom equalizer settings saved for different audio setups. Each of these had its own setting: Psyclone dock, My car, Altec Lansing Towers, Angel Hall Auditorium, and My Home Surround System. I still use and advertise VLC as my primary player since it's by far the best and most feature heavy lightweight player I've used to date.
P.S. I'd like to thank VideoLan for the program, and I intend to continue helping out whenever I can!
This is a feature request subforum. There isn't any guarantee that requests will be implemented.
P.P.S. I added the quote in hopes that this post would be seen, sorry for any confusion

dvjrickkraft
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dvjrickkraft » 11 Nov 2012 21:55

+1 for a save EQ settings feature! Thanks guys for listening to your users :)

eswan18
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eswan18 » 14 Nov 2013 02:56

A small team and I have been looking into VLC for a while, and we're interested in adding this feature. We've explored the code related to the equalizer, and we're easily able to change the existing presets. Does anyone who has pursued this issue in the past have any advice as to how to add a new custom preset to the list? Where are the variables that store the currently set equalizer numbers (so that we can find them and save them elsewhere)? Also, has anyone run into big issues that we should know about? Thanks.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 14 Nov 2013 16:44

@eswan18
I wanted to write a VLC Lua Extension script with a simple dialog box for this. I can get/set actual values of following variables of aout object:

equalizer-bands equalizer-preset equalizer-preamp equalizer-2pass
I do not know how to turn the audio filter on/off on-the-fly. But if I enable it manually in VLC, the values can be controlled from an extension.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”