Global Hotkeys?

Feature requests for VLC.
gorko122
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gorko122 » 03 Sep 2006 01:25

i too would like to have global hotkeys!

doshidh
New Cone
New Cone

me too

Postby doshidh » 03 Sep 2006 18:25

I can't count that high ordinally, so I second the motion. It is a pain to have to click more than twice. If not global hotkeys, nVidia's desktop manager has global mouse gestures, and Firefox has multiple mouse gesture extensions, but that may be a little extreme and not worth the time. I believe Apollo or foobar2000 have multimedia keyboard support and perhaps global hotkeys. Both GPL'd I think.

lacunainc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lacunainc » 07 Sep 2006 17:53

global hotkeys would be great...

so would be a shortcut to sort the playlist A-Z/ move items up/down

and a shell extension "add to playlist as next" without interrupting current playback..

wichall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wichall » 26 Sep 2006 20:33

Voting for global hotkeys :)

CHfish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CHfish » 26 Sep 2006 23:31

It's my most imporant request - It should be possible to realise this - or am I wrong?

CHfish

ssuuddoo
New Cone
New Cone

global hotkeys

Postby ssuuddoo » 20 Oct 2006 12:00

hi, I vote for global hotkeys toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

it was the feature number one I used in winamp.
than I used it on Quintessential from http://www.quinnware.com

and now I missss it a lot.

thnx

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby nw42 » 21 Oct 2006 23:42

Global Hotkeys would be SO GREAT and necessary to use VLC in event applications...

Best Regards

Danko

Disinto
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Disinto » 12 Nov 2006 20:39

I join you for this feature request !
I currently have a Bluetooth remote control (via my cell phone), and it's a pleasure to control the music when not being aside the PC ! Bluetooth HID profiles map to keyboard shortcuts, so the shortcuts (hotkeys) should be global in order to control the music outside VLC main windows.

Au travail les centraliens ;) Et merci d'avance pour vos efforts !

kid_a
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kid_a » 11 Dec 2006 01:15

it would be great, another vote from me.

thanks
VLC yet 's perfect, it would become just divine
:)

FSHero
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FSHero » 27 Dec 2006 12:40

Yeah, I vote for Multimedia global hotkeys!

Winamp was good, and Windows Media Player was better, for multimedia keys. I used the RM-X plugin for Winamp, but it didn't let me use FF, RW, play/pause, stop keys while playing FEAR.

Adding this feature would make it very powerful. Also, is there any chance of adding support for remote-controls? I think my remote control is something like "X10 USB Wireless Tranceiver" (from MS Windows' Device Manager). It comes with a lot of Medion computers. MediaPortal seems to be able to utilise my remote control.

There's a few other, perhaps debatable, features I would like, such as a media library. But I think that multimedia hotkeys and remote control support are the most important.

Keep up the good work!

wichall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wichall » 27 Jan 2007 20:02

Bump

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 27 Jan 2007 20:55

Count me in.

Maybe there could be an option where all hotkeys are global by default, and you can turn on and off a global hotkey so that it doesn’t interfere with other programs that use the same key.

popformula
New Cone
New Cone

bump

Postby popformula » 19 Feb 2007 01:50

i do transcription from mp3 files as a part time job. if i'm typing and need to skip back 5 seconds to go over something that wasn't clear, or need to pause the recording to catch up, i can do this in winamp, using global hotkeys, without breaking my flow of typing. it'd be really good if vlc had such a feature!

timken
New Cone
New Cone

Postby timken » 16 Mar 2007 16:41

Because it is a popular request,
Global hotkeys will definitely put behind all the other players.
I vote for this feature.

wichall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wichall » 06 Apr 2007 13:37

bump

axel1973
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby axel1973 » 25 Apr 2007 05:09

YES and NO for it... why that ?

how to differ between "within VLC key binding" and "global" binding ?

i mean.. to make this thing practicaly there have to be just another additional key-binding table beside the existing one. one "vlc internal keys" and one "global keys" table. if not vlc would switch often from windowed to fullscreen mode and vice versa if u write an email within outlook using simple charakters. isnt it ?

wont this make it even more complicating to the "common user" ?? having TWO Keyboard-Binding tables for just ONE and the same function ??

im not sure this is practical in daily use.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 25 Apr 2007 05:14

What about this: CloudStalker wrote:

axel1973
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby axel1973 » 25 Apr 2007 05:31

CloudStalker is a smarty boy indeed. and GUI for it would be easier to code and all. but guess what will happen anyway... some user clicks some checkboxes to make some keys global and then player f...cks up anyway if he writes emails :) im not sure if that will go well with "common windows users" :)

i somehow like the idea..but i dont think i would make use of it personaly.

xurei
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xurei » 25 May 2007 13:04

I'm not sure, but isn't it possible to launch some commands in vlc just knowing its PID ? In this case, a program specially designed for the desired environment could be created, using hooks...

Another problem whit global hotkeys is multiple instances : for my part, I usually let more than one instance of vlc opened, with just one playing sound or video. With global hotkeys, how to know which media to play/pause ? Conclusion : global hotkeys means unique instance.

Nevertheless, I also think that it's possible to create plugins for vlc. I could create something wich works with windows/gnome... Even I never created plugins for vlc, and I'm in exams... So, be patient. :D

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 25 May 2007 16:56

I could create something wich works with windows/gnome... Even I never created plugins for vlc, and I'm in exams... So, be patient. :D
Thanks, that's much appreciated, :D we shall be patient though. 8) As for the multiple instances obstacle, is it possible to use yet another hotkey to toggle between the instance? Just an idea, probably a bad one. :(

Ford Mustang
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Ford Mustang » 10 Jun 2007 17:46

Are there hotkeys for the screenshot setting?

xurei
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xurei » 10 Jun 2007 17:53

As for the multiple instances obstacle, is it possible to use yet another hotkey to toggle between the instance? Just an idea, probably a bad one. :(
For my part, I think using the law 'first came, first served' could be better. In other words, the older instance of vlc can use the global hotkeys...

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 10 Jun 2007 18:53

Yeah but then there's the problem of setting up the VLC instances in some particular order, like if you're controlling globally the instance playing a DVD and now you want to switch it to control the instance playing music; you're stuck. Another idea, although difficult, would be to assign different hotkeys to different instances, there are but so many hotkey to assign though.

xurei
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xurei » 10 Jun 2007 19:03

Logically, when you're watching a DVD, the window is open. So, a click isn't really a problem. And you've got the local hotkeys if vlc has focus.
For music, it isn't always the case. I think global hotkeys will be useful with music, and not video.

Multiples hotkeys will be really a great ergonomic problem. But you're idea of allowing instances switches could be coupled to the system 'first came first served' : the oldest takes the hotkeys, except if we use the switch. And if the hotkeys-controling instance dies, the oldest remaining instance takes control.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 10 Jun 2007 19:17

Fair enough, and I agree with what you've said about global hotkeys being used, or preferred when playing music, no complaints there. So now all that's left is for the developers to decide how they're going to implement it, if they're going to implement it. Multiple instances is what may be holding this project up, oh and lack of developers. :P I'll help when I learn more but it's not easy. :?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”