16:9 Variable Stretch

Feature requests for VLC.
mstrymn

16:9 Variable Stretch

Postby mstrymn » 21 Jun 2006 02:24

On some T.V.'s there is an option to stretch 4:3 material that stretches the outer left and right area of the image more than the center. Just wondering if that could be an option for VLC?

yoann
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby yoann » 21 Jun 2006 03:01

You could try to play around with the "Video cropping setting" in Preferences -> Video.

mstrymn

Postby mstrymn » 21 Jun 2006 06:33

I've done that, it crops and stretches exactly like you'd expect it to....

But I am suggesting a way of making 4:3 material scale to 16:9 screens without distortion in the center of the screen, only stretch the outer 50% (25% per side).

thany
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby thany » 04 Jul 2006 01:23

I think that's what Windows MCE 2005 does when you choose "cinema zoom" or whatever it's called. It's not the outer 50% that gets stretched, it's more like the edges are stretched to the max, while decreasing the amount stretch while going towards the center.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

vlc_fan

Postby vlc_fan » 25 Jul 2006 05:35

I'm absolutely dying for this feature! I've been searching for it in a media player for years now. PowerDVD does this for DVDs, but not video files (they call it CLPV SmartStretch). WinDVD also has a more flexible version of it. Basically, it allows, say, 4x3 video to look very good on a 16x9 screen and vice versa without cropping (and it doesn't even look like the video's been stretched). This would be really great for VLC, and give it a huge edge over other media players, since it's something that the average user would love to have and take full advantage of.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”