Configurable hotkeys

Feature requests for VLC.
frying_fish
New Cone
New Cone

Configurable hotkeys

Postby frying_fish » 29 May 2006 00:09

The feature I would most like to see is an ability to define our own hotkeys rather than having a specific set of options for the hotkeys, still have the commands, but be able to set our own key, by some composing manner. It could be done similar to how foobar and winamp handle it on windows, or someother way to just "grab" a keypress by the user to assign that key to the current action being selected in the hotkey setup.

nw42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

free definable hotkeys...

Postby nw42 » 30 May 2006 11:43

I would really welcome this to adapt VLC to the users needs...

best regards

Danko

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 30 May 2006 16:32

A ticket already exists: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/303.
But noone started working on it to my knowledge...

frying_fish
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frying_fish » 31 May 2006 00:37

Would be very nice if it did make it in to the 0.8.6 release (I note its been moved to under your control ipkiss). Is it actually that much harder to implement than the current method, as in would it break some of the backend, or is it just other things have taken priority?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 31 May 2006 08:41

Even though this is not very hard to do, it implies a rewrite of the hotkeys system (only the code for the actions of the hotkeys can be kept, i think), and all the interfaces and video output modules must be adapted. It also requires a new type of control in the preferences to grab the key (the preferences being auto-generated from the configuration options, it is some work too).

But it's more a priority problem as you said: we lack developers, and we have so many things to do... As a result, developers often prefer to work on completely new features rather than enhancing something which is already working rather well (like the hotkeys system).
I guess it will be done one day, but I don't know when...

Fireh

Postby Fireh » 12 Jun 2006 12:56

Hello.

I suppose this issue covers the use of the media-keys on Logitech MX5000 keyboard too? There are keys for play/payse, stop, previous and next. Also a volume-thing.

// Fireh

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”