Some requests regarding capture modes in "Open Capture Device" and "Convert / Save" sub-menu dialogues in VLC for Linux

Feature requests for VLC.
aguntuk
New Cone
New Cone

Some requests regarding capture modes in "Open Capture Device" and "Convert / Save" sub-menu dialogues in VLC for Linux

Postby aguntuk » 12 Aug 2024 12:59

When one opens the "Capture Device" tab of either "Media > Open Capture Device" or "Media > Convert / Save", the dialogue box lists "Video camera", "JACK Audio Connection Kit", "TV - digital", "TV - analog" and "Desktop" in the "Capture mode" option.

My requests are:
1. To allow a "Audio only" capture mode in this list, as selecting "Video camera" as the capture mode and setting only the "Audio device name" does not play/convert only the audio but also the video.

2. An added bonus would be to display the names of the audio and video devices in "Device Selection" like the ones displayed in the "Devices" category in the left hand pane of playlist view.

3. Probably remove the "JACK Audio Connection Kit" entry as JACK may not be installed on all Linux systems and should not be prioritized over other sound infrastructures like Pulseaudio and Pipewire.

4. To allow changing the default location of saving the recorded audio/video streams which currently gets saved in "/home/user/Music" and "/home/user/Videos" folders respectively and probably allow setting the file name format for the saved files.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Some requests regarding capture modes in "Open Capture Device" and "Convert / Save" sub-menu dialogues in VLC for Li

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 12 Aug 2024 14:29

You can already record audio from the playlist peripheral list and I don't see the point in making a subpar dialogue for the same.

And VLC obeys XDG user settings for directories. You're free to change them.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

aguntuk
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Some requests regarding capture modes in "Open Capture Device" and "Convert / Save" sub-menu dialogues in VLC for Li

Postby aguntuk » 16 Aug 2024 03:00

You can already record audio from the playlist peripheral list ...
True. So there are two ways of recording video but one way of recording 'only audio': viz. the playlist peripheral. The "Media > Open Capture Device" or "Media > Convert / Save" allows one to fine tune various parameters which is not evident while recording via the playlist peripherals and so, inclusion of a audio only feature would not only make VLC consistent but also convenient.
... and I don't see the point in making a subpar dialogue for the same.
I do not get why addition of a list entry would make something "subpar". Also, I do not want a new dialogue box, just a list entry alongside "Video camera", "JACK Audio Connection Kit", "TV - digital" and "TV - analog" that might read "Audio" and list the audio devices as listed in the playlist's audio capture devices in its "Device Selection" and allowing one to set the audio formats (formats, bitrates etc.) in "Options/Advanced options".
And VLC obeys XDG user settings for directories. You're free to change them.
I could not find an option in VLC to change these default directories. If there's any, I would be grateful if someone could direct me to that. Otherwise, I would reiterate my earlier request as I want to keep the XDG settings unchanged for other applications that rely on these settings. N.B. there is a similar option for video snapshots.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”