Restore playlist state when re-opening app

Feature requests for VLC.
Zero_Sleap
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Restore playlist state when re-opening app

Postby Zero_Sleap » 18 Nov 2022 18:19

I have installed Resume Media V3.40 and realise I tried it before. First the user interface is very obscure and I see no sign of it doing any more than VLC does anyway as it can easily be set to resume a playlist, atleast until you close VLC - I had given up last time I tried Resume Media. What may be the problem is that my playlist is stored in "Media" and can be copied to "Playlist" but this disappears when closing and re-opening VLC so nothing to Resume presumably. Nobody seems to know how to make a Playlist stay after closing VLC! All completely infuriating for so sophisticated a player otherwise.
Well how it works for me and DOES resume playing a folder i have in Media library.I basically imported a folder of a series i am watching and if I right click play on that folder in the VLC Media library it auto resumes that folder playback from the last episode and position i left it.
In essence i dont so far have had the need to interact with the resume media interface.
I guess this extension may be a workaround with using Media Library,instead of a solution to keeping previous playlists you had in VLC.

GordonHathaway
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GordonHathaway » 23 Nov 2022 14:20

Hi, I have tried every way possible but still cannot get Resume Media to make any difference. Maybe not surprising as Joseph V M has a video on Youtube which seems to suggest that all versions from 2.2.0 onwards do it anyway so you don't need Resume Media. He even shows closing VLC, restarting it and it playing from where it left off. As this was many versions ago it looks like this did work as per the QT menu options but no longer. Something they did seems to mean that it will continue if just parked or in hibernation but not for me and many others on a restart. So I give up and hope one day someone will either fix it or tell me where I am going wrong. It worked 7 years ago and seemingly 2 years ago but lots like me think it doesn't work now!

To be clear as you suggest it does work could you say please whether your VLC is the latest version 3.0.17.4 or an earlier one of the 2.2.0+ variety. Also does the resume work after restarting VLC after closing it completely and also on a Windows reboot? If so then I need to find out how you have managed this as there are lots more people urgently looking for this answer.

GordonHathaway
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GordonHathaway » 14 Dec 2022 11:42

Still not resolved in 3.0.18 !!!

thinkegads
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thinkegads » 09 Jan 2023 12:27

+1 for this, only reason I'm making an account.
Alternatively, being able to see all my bookmarks could do the same thing, and is more useful when watching multiple series/playlists at the same time.

meankeen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby meankeen » 04 Feb 2023 22:23

Only reason why I made an account here is to support this feature. It's the only reason why I havent switched yet.

mattjanssen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mattjanssen » 25 Jul 2023 18:01

+1 Yes please! :D

I just migrated away from WinAmp (about 15 years too late) and this is the main feature I miss.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 25 Jul 2023 18:29

Hi, this is tracked as ticket 4505 https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/4505

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 25 Jul 2023 20:40

Hi, this is tracked as ticket 4505 https://code.videolan.org/videolan/vlc/-/issues/4505

"Issue created 12 years ago" – I see that implementation of this very basic, universal feature is progressing quite quickly.

How long would this really take to code? Why the resistance to adding it after all this time has passed?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Jul 2023 21:53

1) If nobody does the work, it takes infinitely long, no matter how easy.
2) There has not been any resistance, just nobody to do the work.

If you buy a plot of land next to a road, a house probably won't just appear unless you hire constructors.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

GordonHathaway
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GordonHathaway » 25 Jul 2023 23:17

So, to be honest I understand this will actually never happen. If there has been nobody to do this in 12 years this seems like the end. Very sad considering how fundamental this flaw is - EVERY other player restarts where you leave off! My car, my BluRay Player etc etc. It is a shame as VLC is otherwise almost perfect but this is a major flaw.

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 03 Aug 2023 02:08

1) If nobody does the work, it takes infinitely long, no matter how easy.
2) There has not been any resistance, just nobody to do the work.

I understand all of these points, but the VLC apps receive regular updates w/ fixes and new features that I'm sure are much more difficult and time consuming to implement than restoring the playlist state. So if time is regularly made and work regularly conducted for these over the course of 12 years, then how could this basic, simple feature still be that low on the scale of priority that it is never reached?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 04 Aug 2023 06:04

None of the people who think like you that it was so easy and so high priority did the encompassed work. Since you didn't do it yourself, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine why other people didn't either.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

GordonHathaway
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GordonHathaway » 04 Aug 2023 09:20

What a bizarre reply! I can't even understand what you mean. If this is very diifficult then please just tell us it won't ever happen and we will stop bothering you! I am sure this is a feature most users would appreciate but we do all understand that some things are just not considered worth the effort. I would rather know than continue this thread and waste your time.

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 09 Aug 2023 05:35

I never said it was so easy or so high priority though. That was neither my claim nor reasoning. Re-read what I did say. Being ignored for 12 yrs would equate to a 0 on a scale of 1-100 priority level, b/c in that time frame VLC has certainly made more than 100 updates to the apps. Asking why it was never considered slightly higher than a 0 isn't "so high priority", especially when it's very a popular feature suggestion, as shown by this thread and the previous ones linked.

Since you didn't do it yourself, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine why other people didn't either.

This is an irrelevant argument as I'm not a VLC developer. Also, you could apply the same logic to not only everything else that hasn't been already implemented into the app, but also everything else in the entire world that hasn't been done yet that isn't part of my job description: meaning b/c I didn't do it then nobody else whose job includes that task should be able to either.

Is the more likely reason b/c the devs have not been instructed to work on it?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Aug 2023 07:30

What devs are you on about exactly? The software engineers working for the VideoLAN foundation? There are exactly zero of them; the foundation doesn't have that kind of money.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 10 Aug 2023 05:55

You referred to "other people" and "the people" doing the encompassed work. Who else would "people" refer to if not VLC software developers? If there are exactly zero people doing development work, how does VLC even exist let alone get updated fairly often w/ several fixes, improvements, new features, and added compatibility?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 10 Aug 2023 08:53

What I said is that there are no objections to the feature. If there were, the bug report would not have stayed open.

As for why people do bug fixes or new features, that's because they want it or they are paid to do it. Obviously nobody wants to implement this feature on their free time thus far, and nobody wants to pay for professionals to implement it either.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 10 Aug 2023 09:04

I see. Well, that was a helpful and informative response. But what may be obvious to you isn't to the rest of the users on this forum who don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

GordonHathaway
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GordonHathaway » 10 Aug 2023 09:12

Yes, thank you for that reply. Now I know this feature will probably not get implemented, so I will carry on living without it and stop fretting about it! It would be a nice feature but it seems there are not enough capable of doing the work who agree sadly.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”