Click to Pause or Play

Feature requests for VLC.
jgt1942
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Click to Pause or Play

Postby jgt1942 » 08 Nov 2016 22:55

I use VLC on Windows 10 and find it super annoying that I cannot left-click to pause or play. Yes I know that I can press the spacebar. If I go into the Advanced Preferences, I double click on Play/Pause the window that pops up states "Press the new key or combination for Play/Pause" but it does not accept pressing the left mouse button (it did not accept any combination of mouse buttons). All of the video applications I use, except for VLC, use the left mouse button to pause/play. Please allow me to use the left mouse button to Pause/Play.
JGT
Desktop-S4 (Win10 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 15TB (6-3TB Drives), Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 1090T 6 core), Power Supply Corsair AX1200. Tower Cooler Master HAF 942)
Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive)

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Click to Pause or Play

Postby jayR » 13 Nov 2016 21:52

This is bad idea. I hate to use MPC because of this. So I don't use MPC because click to pause. Everytime I click, then my music stops. That's terrible!

jgt1942
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Postby jgt1942 » 18 Nov 2016 18:45

jayR, sorry but I fail to understand your reasoning. BTW what is MPC? When viewing YouTube videos I can click inside the player window and it will pause the play, if I click anywhere outside the window it has no effect on the video playing. From your description I infer that no matter where you click on the screen the play stops. If this is correct I agree with you this would be bad. But for me when using VLC to pause the play I have to make the window active, then either press the spacebar or click on the pause button. For me when using VLC I'm watching an educational video and off in another window on my 2nd monitor taking some notes thus it is MUCH easier just to click in the VLC window to pause the play. IMHO one click is far easier than clicking in the VLC window to make it the active window and then clicking the pause button or pressing the space bar.

BTW if all you are doing is playing music I highly recommend MediaMonkey, see http://www.mediamonkey.com/
JGT
Desktop-S4 (Win10 Pro x64, 16GB RAM, 15TB (6-3TB Drives), Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 840EVO SSD , Dual Monitors, GeForce GTX470, Motherboard Asrock 990 Extreme 9, AMD Phenom™ II 1090T 6 core), Power Supply Corsair AX1200. Tower Cooler Master HAF 942)
Laptop Lenovo W700 (Win8 Pro x64, 4GB RAM, 1-240GB SSD Boot drive 1-500GB data drive)

McThug
New Cone
New Cone

Postby McThug » 04 Feb 2023 22:44

PotPlayer works for HDR using SVP with a few setting mods:
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Daum_PotPlayer
I would prefer using VLC if they had these 2 options:
- Pause and Play video by clicking video part of the window.
- Click and Drag video by clicking and dragging the video part of the window.
It appears the programmers say things like "you can't expect us to add features like this, it is free software" ..... so is PotPlayer and everything else!
Cheers!

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”