mayconhvab
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.21 | 3.6.0 beta6
Operating System: Windows 11 | Android

Add various formats to VLC Media Player

Postby mayconhvab » 11 Nov 2022 23:44

Hello everyone and developers!

I bring good news and some information that can be added in VLC Media Player.
We know that VLC has the great ability to play various audio, video, image, subtitle and streaming formats.
I currently formatted my notebook to Windows 11 22H2 and installed VLC Media Player on my notebook, but I couldn't get the audio, video, streaming audio and subtitles formats as default (even if I install other software as a substitute or for secondary playback), because I know that the organization is huge and has enormous power to add advanced tools where we can't find in any other player.

I installed some players on my notebook with Windows 11 22H2 and I got some information in the "default applications", and I saw that some formats are not compatible, but I also didn't have a way to test them because I didn't have the original file extension or converted with some software .

The software I installed on my machine was; mpv player, k-lite codec mega pack, potplayer, mpc-be, VLC Media Player and foobar2000.
Some formats weren't on VLC's list, I just added them all as default for VLC but I'm not sure if these formats are compatible with the current version (final version).

I would love for you, great people, to add these audio formats to VLC Media Player, not only for Windows or Linux, but yes.., for all platforms that exist to VLC Media Player.
I apologize as this may seem exaggerated, but if we have the greatest player of all time, the most famous in the world. Why can't we or don't we support these file formats?
My opinion may suck, but VLC Media Player for me, can and should be the most complete software, app, of all time. And with some information added for my simple opinion, it will be. Well, it's a very optimistic thing and very pleasant to the final audience, and to the end user, as it shows that VLC Media Player has great capacity for reading codecs and different audio, video, streaming formats and subtitle formats, of different formats and quality.

I will give you a list of formats of: audio, video and streaming that can be added to VLC. And that, with my great simplicity, these formats can be added to this wonderful software.

Here are the audio, video, streaming, and subtitle formats that I picked up from the list of software that has format compatibility, as VLC Media Player can't or doesn't support reading them.

Add support for these formats:

3g2 , 3ga , .3gp , 3gp2 , 3gpp , 669 , a52 , aac , ac3 , adt , adts , aif , aifc , aiff , amr , amv , aob , ape , asf , asx , au , avi , b4s , bik , caf , cda , cue , dav , divx , drc , dts , .dv , dvr-ms , evo , f4v , flac , flv , gvi , gxf , ifo , it , m1v, m2t , m2ts , m2v , m3u8, m4a , m4p , m4v, mid, mka, mkv, mip, mod, mp1, mp2, mp2v, mp4, mp4v, mpc, mpe, mpeg, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, mpg, mpga, mpv2, mts, mtv, mxf, nsv, nuv, oga, ogg, ogm, ogv, ogx, oma, opus, pls, qcp, rec, rm, rmi, rmvb, rpl, s3m, sdp, snd, spx, thp, tod, tp, ts, tta, tts, vlc, vlt , .vob , vob , vqf , vro , w64 , wav , webm , wma , wmv , wpi , xspf , .264 , .265 , alac , apl , bdmv , dff , dsa , dsm , dss , dsv , dtshd , dtsma , eac3 , ec3 , dts , h264 , h265 , hdmov , hevc , hm10 , ifo , ismv , ivf , m1a , m1v , m2a , m2p , m2t , m2ts , m2v , m4a , m4b , midk , midi, mk3 , mip , mp2 , mp4 , mpa , mpc , mpcpl , mpe , mpeg , mpg , mpls , mpv2 , mpv4 , mts , mxf , nut , o bu, ofr, ofs, oga, ogg, ogm, ogv, pva, rec, rmm, roq, sfd, smk, snd, spx, ssif, tak, tp, trp, ts, vc1, vob, w64, wav, weba, wm , wma , wmp , wmv , wpl , xspf , y4m , 8svx , aac , ac3 , afc , aif , aifc , aiff , ape , apl , asx , au , bwf , cda , dtswav , eac3 , fla , fpl , m3u8 , m4b, m4r, mac, mka, mp+, mp1, mpp, oga, ogg, ogx, opus, pls, rf64, snd, spx, svx, tak, wave, wma, wv, wvx, ass, dmskm, dpg, dpl, dsf , idx , k3g , lmp4 , m4b , mpl , mpls , mqv , nsr , pbf , psb , rpm , rt , sbv , skm , smi , srt , ssa , ssf , sub , sup , tak , tpr , ttml , usf , vtt , wmp , xspf , xss , 3ga2 , 3iv , avc , ay , dvr , evob , f4a , gbs , gym , hdv , hes , kss , mpg4 , mpv , nsf , nsfe , pcm , sap , shn , thd , thd+ ac3 , tsa , tsv , vfw , vgm , vgz , x264 , x265 , xvid , yuv

I know that your work is heavy, but with strength we will reach a good final result.
It may take 6 months or even 2 years, but I will always be waiting for this information to be added to VLC.
A hug and thank you very much !

mayconhvab
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Add various formats to VLC Media Player

Postby mayconhvab » 12 Nov 2022 00:08

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 08 Dec 2022 01:01

vlc supports most of those formats already

mayconhvab
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mayconhvab » 12 Feb 2023 22:46

H.264/AVC: This codec is widely used for high definition (HD) video encoding and is compatible with most video playback devices and platforms.
H.265/HEVC: This codec offers better coding efficiency compared to H.264, resulting in smaller video files with the same quality. However, device and platform compatibility is still limited.
VP9: This codec is developed by Google and is widely used on internet video platforms such as YouTube.
VP8: This codec is similar to VP9 and is also developed by Google.
MPEG-2: This codec is widely used for encoding DVD video and is compatible with most DVD playback devices.
Each codec has its own advantages and disadvantages, and choosing the best codec for a given situation will depend on the specific needs of each case.
H.264: is a very popular codec that offers a good quality/bit rate ratio. It is widely supported on playback devices including computers, smartphones and televisions.
H.265 (HEVC): This is a newer codec that promises the same image quality as H.264 but at half the bit rate. However, compatibility with playback devices is still limited.
VP9: is an open source codec developed by Google. It offers good image quality and supports high bitrates, but it is not widely supported on playback devices yet.
AV1: is an open source codec developed by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia). It promises to be even more efficient than VP9 and supports high bitrates, but it is still not widely supported on playback devices.
In the end, the choice of codec depends on the specific needs of each streaming project. It's important to test different codecs and settings to find the option that offers the best combination of quality, bitrate, and compatibility.
Give me lots of information about new audio codecs
Clear! Here is some information about some of the newer audio codecs:
Opus: It is an open, high-quality audio codec that is designed to be used in voice and media applications, such as voice messages in messaging apps and online games. It is bandwidth efficient and compatible with a wide range of devices.
AAC-ELD: It is an advanced audio codec that is designed to be used on mobile devices. It is capable of delivering high fidelity audio quality at relatively low bitrates, making it ideal for use on mobile networks.
LC3: It is a high efficiency audio codec that was developed by Fraunhofer IIS and Apple. It is designed to deliver superior audio quality at very low bitrates, making it ideal for use on devices with limited storage and limited bandwidth.
Give me lots of information about new video codecs
Of course, there are some new video codecs that are being developed or have already been released recently. Here are some of the most relevant:
AV1: AV1 is a free and open video codec developed by the Alliance for Open Media. It was created with the aim of providing an efficient alternative to proprietary codecs such as VP9 and HEVC. AV1 promises better picture quality at lower data rates than other codecs, making it a good choice for online and mobile video applications.
VVC (Versatile Video Coding): VVC is the upcoming ITU-T and ISO/IEC standard video codec, and promises significant improvements over HEVC. It offers better image quality and more efficient compression rates, making it an attractive choice for high-definition video and virtual/augmented reality applications.
EVC: EVC is a video codec developed by Huawei. It was designed to be compatible with mobile devices and promises significant improvements over H.264 and HEVC, with lower data rate and lower power consumption.
AOMedia Video 2 (AV2): AV2 is an evolution of AV1, and offers significant improvements over its predecessor, including better image quality and more efficient compression rates.
Uncompressed audio formats:
BWF (Broadcast Wave Format)
Now the tops; Advanced video format:ProRes, DNxHD/DNxHR, REDCODE. HDR (High Dynamic Range), Rec.2020, DCI-P3, RGB

As of right now this is the latest information I have on the most recent audio and video codecs, and some color formats.
I would like them to be added to VLC Media Player, because that way we also have and will have a great player that gets better every day.

Thanks in advance.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 17 Feb 2023 16:56

Almost all codecs in your list are already supported, just saying...
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”