Dolby Vision (need a reason to keep Nvidia Shield for remote and my possibly sabotaged 2tb USB HDD)

Feature requests for VLC.
c1i4m0nd
New Cone
New Cone

Dolby Vision (need a reason to keep Nvidia Shield for remote and my possibly sabotaged 2tb USB HDD)

Postby c1i4m0nd » 05 May 2022 05:05

I looked for a direct contact to ask this and gave up due to time, but I want to know if I should expect DV support in the future. I read somewhere last year that the only way to watch this was with the Nvidia Shield and Plex. I have too many problems with the Shield and they possibly just caused me to lose 2TB of data. I don't know if Plex support for DV is where it stops, but I hope not. I doubt they have a deal with Dolby. I didn't try it yet, but my computers have Nvidia cards and I just installed the Plex player, but I don't know why no one else can play it or what the Shield has that my $1600 GeForce RTX 2080 doesn't.

My Windows access to this Shield Android TV formatted 2TB stopped working to the point reboots and unplugging didn't fix it. Plex stopped working, even though this USB HDD is connected via cable. They told me to factory reset, which now brings up "unsupported" with my USB HDD. I find that the Shield IP address changed and get it back in Windows, but it is showing the empty 500GB I never used and ignoring the USB that has 2TB. I don't know if they can fix it, but I expect them to. I have used VLC for years on Windows and a little on Android. I need someone to let me know if the same DV support will be coming for Windows or Android, maybe anything about why not or even a solution to copying my 2TB off of this Shield formatted USB. It doesn't appear in Windows and I don't want to format it without getting the data off. They should have advised me about the IP address. Plex is not useful for me if it can't play files via USB. The Shield isn't going to be needed if they lost my data and can't get it back.

I'm back to using my laptop without a remote control and without that DV support. I'm hoping I missed something about other players adding it, or that VLC can do this. I will be trying Plex from Windows and talking with Nvidia support about the 2TB that a reset blocked. I can keep the Shield and wait on VLC to add Dolby Vision. It was nice to have the remote, but even Windows support would be helpful. I don't use forums or socialize like I used to, so if there is something else that plays DV or plans to other than VLC, please let me know. This thing was $200, has taken many hours of tech work to use, and now I'm getting used to getting up from the couch to pause or rewind like before.

I don't game on Android, so this was the only use I had for getting a Shield. I'm done with it if there's no chance any other player will do this. I will try Plex Windows soon, but if that doesn't support DV then I don't know. Do they have an exclusive deal with Nvidia Shield? I appreciate any information, but mainly need to know if VLC might be able to play it. I think it plays HDR. I posted this in 4 places because of the importance and lack of contact, so if everything is answered in one place then I should be good on that.

tguillem
Developer
Developer
VLC version: ALL
Operating System: Linux/WIndows/Mac OS

Re: Dolby Vision (need a reason to keep Nvidia Shield for remote and my possibly sabotaged 2tb USB HDD)

Postby tguillem » 05 May 2022 07:18

Hello,

I deleted the 3 other posts since it can be considered as spam (and people will unlikely read your post in that case).

It's not very clear, are you asking if VLC will support Dolby Vision on Windows or Android (via nvidia SHield) ? I'm not sure we can help on your other issues, that are not related to VLC.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”