Lossless video and audio output

Feature requests for VLC.
Spirit

Lossless video and audio output

Postby Spirit » 25 Jan 2005 09:20

While lossless audio codec is implemented there's no lossless video codec. I'd like to grab playable source to something editable and that's the only way how to maintain quality. It would be huffyuv or something else just as in ffdshow.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 25 Jan 2005 16:35

I think you can use huffyuv in vlc as well, it's just not in the drop down box because it's too obscure. Manually edit the transcode line to use it. the fourcc is HFYU

CadErik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CadErik » 02 Feb 2006 20:53

I think you can use huffyuv in vlc as well, it's just not in the drop down box because it's too obscure. Manually edit the transcode line to use it. the fourcc is HFYU
Yes this seems somehow supported, but I can't find any way to stream that over the network... would you have any idea?

Thanks,

Erik.

pvdeejay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pvdeejay » 03 Feb 2006 11:33

Yeah excelent that's something i've been looking for for ages :-) I hope it'll be usable
Can i just replace e.g. div3 with HFYU ???
Yes this seems somehow supported, but I can't find any way to stream that over the network... would you have any idea?
hm.. it's too much data.. do you think that you can pass at least 10 megs over your lan?
Maibe you can but you need at least 1 Gbit network.
I would use this for streaming to file only.
United Audio Team aka The lazy bastardz

CadErik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CadErik » 03 Feb 2006 20:49

Yeah excelent that's something i've been looking for for ages :-) I hope it'll be usable
Can i just replace e.g. div3 with HFYU ???
With my current tests, no... but there's somekind of different version of HFYU called FFYU that exists.
hm.. it's too much data.. do you think that you can pass at least 10 megs over your lan?
Maibe you can but you need at least 1 Gbit network.
I would use this for streaming to file only.
Well, it depends how the encoding would be done. I need this to stream a powerpoint slideshow from one PC to the other. Also, even at 10mb, VNC works *perfectly*... so a proper lossless encoding shouldn't suck that mucn bandwidth if it is a little smart. And I have 100mb on the lan and I could have 1 gig if necessary. But unfortunately that far I did not figure out any way to stream it... The multiplexers seem to kick the HFYU and the FFYU out and there is no video streaming. There is also another codec called Camtasia that seems accepted by VLC but I did not figure out how to stream it :-(

Erik.

pvdeejay
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pvdeejay » 05 Feb 2006 21:48

hm.. now I am totally confused. According to the 1st post in this thread Huffyuv works. But as I am moving on you are saying that no muxer can accept huffyuv . So is there a way to stream e.g. video from TV card to file. Lets imagine that video is huffyuv and audio is wav or any other lossless format.
United Audio Team aka The lazy bastardz

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”