Show version numbers of plugins/decoders

Feature requests for VLC.
hajj_3
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Show version numbers of plugins/decoders

Postby hajj_3 » 18 Jan 2021 20:43

which version of dav1d plugin (libdav1d_plugin.dll) is included in the new vlc player 3.0.12?

I went to C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\codec\libdav1d_plugin.dll and hovered over this to see the tooltip version number but it shows v3.0.12 (vlc version number), not the actual version number of dav1d. This is REALLY annoying, i want to be able to hover over plugins to see their version numbers. You don't list updating the version numbers in the changelog either unlike MPC-BE which does say which plugins/decoders were updated and their version numbers.

Please do both of these things in future, i would greatly appreciate it.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Show version numbers of plugins/decoders

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 18 Jan 2021 20:54

VLC plug-ins are part of the VLC code base. They don't have their own version numbers separate from VLC.

You're assuming that there is one plug-in per underlying library, but that is not the case, not even close. So no, we are not going to create 200+ separate sets of version numbers one per plug-in.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

hajj_3
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Show version numbers of plugins/decoders

Postby hajj_3 » 18 Jan 2021 21:19

So no, we are not going to create 200+ separate sets of version numbers one per plug-in.
Can you put the versions in the changelog though? Also, where can i find out the version number of dav1d that is used in v3.0.12?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”