video overlays would be great

Feature requests for VLC.
cardgame
New Cone
New Cone

video overlays would be great

Postby cardgame » 05 Feb 2005 23:41

we use vlc for recording incoming networkm streams from surveillance cameras. as the stream comes in, it is written to disk. It would be great if VideoLan supported video overlays so we could specify say the data, time, timecode and some text over the video while it is being recorded to disk.

If someone has done this, let us know.

Mark

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 06 Feb 2005 00:00

What you asked for is provided by the logo, time, marq video subfilters.
Logo is a variable transparency .png bitmap.
Time is a variable-format time/date string, and can also hold some free text.
Marq is another general-purpose free text string.

Marq and, I believe, logo, are already exposed -- accessible for on-the-fly changes. I forget, but don't think callbacks are in for time yet -- the camera name and timedate code aren't the kind of thing you normally want/need dynamic (they're static for a given source).

If using time, use a monospace font, not proportional, so the time/date doesn't jitter. (there are several public domain mono .TTF out there)

(Monospace also lets you use marq cleanly, if you happened to have something that you might want to have update without jitter)

__mami2

Postby __mami2 » 25 Aug 2005 12:40

Dear Mark,
Would you please tell me how I can use the marquee filter when VLC is sending different streams to different clients? I mean when there is just one client, every thing is OK, but when VLC is serving multiple clients, how I should specify to which one the data should go?
( It seems that the rc interface does not provide any special solution for this. )

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 26 Aug 2005 21:57

Well, that's because it's not really possible. A stream gets send/is being received by a set of clients. In order to stream different things to different clients you need to send different streams.

(You can use the duplicate parameter of VLC output, to split the source material to two different internal destinations. Then one can go to the normal clients, trough a std element, whilst the 2nd can go into something like a transcoder and be overlayed with a soverlay subfilter, and chain that into another std element)

It's a bit more complex, but possible.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 10 Sep 2005 13:43

hi,
Marq and, I believe, logo, are already exposed -- accessible for on-the-fly changes.
logo overlay is imo not accessible for on-the-fly changes...but it would be great: I use VLC for a DBox-Netstream and can watch the video...but I miss the OSD-Framebuffer which can be periodical/action triggered stored as a *.png
Display the OSD-Frambuffer as a logo overlay works very fine but how can I force VLC to refresh the logo? I have to restart VLC to read the logo..

example VLC-screenshot with a transparent logo/OSD overlay:

so it would be very great if its possible to force VLC to refresh/read the logo (periodical) without to restart VLC...and if the path to the logo.png could be a networkpath..e.g. http://*** or ftp://***

cu,
peter

CTNT

OSD runtime display

Postby CTNT » 15 Sep 2005 17:06

I wonder how to get that runtime info to stick as a on screen display timeline. I figured that something similar to subfilter "Time" could be used?

When you fast forward using hotkeys (Alt+right/left arrow) the current time and runtime shows, works perfect, but how to make it show all the time?

I need this to work when I use second monitor (TV) in fullscreen mode.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 16 Sep 2005 17:05

I think if you call the VLC variable in which the path to the logo is saved, then the callback attached to it, can update the logo.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 16 Sep 2005 19:40

I think if you call the VLC variable in which the path to the logo is saved, then the callback attached to it, can update the logo.
sorry, I dunno how to do that...I would prefer a more user friendly VLC integrated solution e.g. with a slider for update intervall time :-)

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 24 Oct 2005 14:28

what is the name of the 'VLC variable'? I am still looking for that feature and if the path to the logo.png could be a networkpath, it would also be possible to view eg. live Webcam Pictures...

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby petgun » 30 Jan 2006 14:52

is it really so hard to realize a 'Live-Logo' function?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”