Playlist autosave

Feature requests for VLC.
zhum
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist autosave

Postby zhum » 05 Jul 2009 06:43

Please, implement it! Please!
It is very basic, and very important feature. Current playlist and current playlist position must be saved on exit. If you implement last file position save, it would be VERY nice :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Playlist autosave

Postby VLC_help » 06 Jul 2009 12:08

Media Library is there if you want auto saving playlist. Playlist position save is little problematic, because you cannot seek all files/streams (so you cannot return to same position) which would make the feature inconsistent among different streams/files.

frankster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankster » 16 Jul 2012 23:41

Sorry to necro this thread but it still seems a relevant question as I don't really see how the media library substitutes for a playlist autosaving functionality as it doesn't seem to work as you imply. These are the steps I took:

* I used the media library to browse to a song, pressed play and listened to some of it.
* I then closed VLC 2.02 and restarted it.
* I pressed play

What I expected to happen based on what you said:
* I expected the same file to be selected in the media library, so that I could continue listening where I stopped.

What actually happened:
* VLC reloaded with a blank playlist selected (the left side of the screen had playlist highlighted, not the media library). The previous track was not selected.
* I pressed play and it popped up the file selection dialogue box.

Am I missing something obvious? If not, I think having inconsistent seeking is less of a problem than having to manually select some songs to listen to every time you start the app.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 25 Jul 2012 01:56

VLC reloaded with a blank playlist selected (the left side of the screen had playlist highlighted, not the media library).
Could you try clicking on the "Media Library" on the left side of the screen?

frankster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankster » 25 Jul 2012 07:36

* Played a song in the media library
* Restarted vlc
-> opened in the playlist section with an empty playlist
* clicked on the media library on the left
-> Nothing's selected in the media library, the tree view is collapsed
* Uncollapsed the folders to where I was before
-> the file I was listening to before is not selected
* Pressed play
-> file browse dialogue popped up

This is with VLC 2.02

dandv
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dandv » 14 Feb 2013 09:59

Media Library is there if you want auto saving playlist. Playlist position save is little problematic, because you cannot seek all files/streams (so you cannot return to same position) which would make the feature inconsistent among different streams/files.
Saving the playlist is a little problematic... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
  • It's been FOUR YEARS since this thread was started,
  • there are at least two Trac tickets asking for this
  • newsgroup discussions in comp.video.videolan.vlc.devel acknowledging that users are pissed at the lack of this functionality
  • every single other media player (KMPLayer, BSPlayer, friggin Winamp, you name it), saves the playlist)
  • Google friggin' Search autocompletes "vlc auto save" to "vlc auto save playlist"
But moderators here are rejecting the idea of autosaving the playlist. WTF.

Look, I get how open source works. I'm an OSS dev myself. I'm not asking anyone to code this up. If prioritizing it is too much, what I ask is to at least acknowledge that autosaving the playlist SHOULD be implemented. It doesn't matter that the Media Library can provide some sort of equivalent feature. Not saving the playlist violates the principle of least surprise, and the expectations of every single user who's ever used the playlist in software that has this functionality.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2013 15:15

Look, I get how open source works. I'm an OSS dev myself. I'm not asking anyone to code this up. If prioritizing it is too much, what I ask is to at least acknowledge that autosaving the playlist SHOULD be implemented. It doesn't matter that the Media Library can provide some sort of equivalent feature. Not saving the playlist violates the principle of least surprise, and the expectations of every single user who's ever used the playlist in software that has this functionality.
Noone said otherwise. We are waiting for your code, thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

iAlias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iAlias » 04 Sep 2014 05:04

just had to register to respond the PRESIDENT of this joke of a media player.
Why do you code it? Do you want people to use it? Then give them the features that are basic. The ability to save a playlist is basic. The only advantage that VLC player has over MPC is that I can use VLC at night thanks to having an audio compressor. That 's it.
So thanks for that at least. But that reply you just made... You sound like an insufferable little prick.

frankster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankster » 04 Sep 2014 10:34

> You sound like an insufferable little prick.

iAlias: Actually you do - noone has to write this software for you for free. Yes its frustrating when things don't work perfectly, but THIS SOFTWARE IS FREE and made by volunteers! You insufferable little prick.

emoxam
New Cone
New Cone

Postby emoxam » 22 Nov 2020 18:46

2020 year.. and still the same problem.. pitty

shape5
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby shape5 » 27 Nov 2020 07:14

+1 for autosaving current playlist and playlist position, as well as well as saving the current playlist state when quitting (if this isn't already included in the feature). Either way, I opened a separate feature request for this here: Restore playlist state when re-opening app

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”