Display 2 subtitles simultaneously already in VLC 4.0?

Feature requests for VLC.
flipside5
New Cone
New Cone

Display 2 subtitles simultaneously already in VLC 4.0?

Postby flipside5 » 21 Aug 2020 15:39

The last entry in https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/824#no1 states that it is possible to display two different subtitle languages simultaneously in VLC 4.0. It provides a link to the relevant change (de9ec19c483) but that link is broken. I've downloaded VLC 4.0 and I can't see how to use this new feature. Can anyone explain it or point me to the correct link.

From the ticket
"This was addressed for VLC 4.0 as documented in de9ec19c483."

jmon12
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Display 2 subtitles simultaneously already in VLC 4.0?

Postby jmon12 » 11 Oct 2020 23:20

de9ec19c483 refers to a git commit. Looking at the git history, it seems to be an update of the news. And for our concern (the double subtitles feature), it seems to mention it in the 'NEWS' file:

Code: Select all

* Add support for dual subtitles selection (via the player)
I currently have troubles to compile VLC from the last git commit. I'll update this thread if I can somehow use this feature.

jmon12
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jmon12 » 13 Oct 2020 18:51

I couldn't find more than the setting to set the position of the second subtitles: last one in "Subtitles / OSD settings". I couldn't find anyway to actually choose secondary subtitles files.

With some desperate hope, I tried to have one in the directory of the movie file so that it's automatically used, and to load another one, but I cannot simultaneously select them and it didn't do any kind of magic.

To have the feature anyway, check out the following extension: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1154027/

jmon12
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jmon12 » 16 Oct 2020 12:16

OK I finally found a way to make it work with VLC4, see that post https://askubuntu.com/questions/216734/ ... ltaneously.

The key information is that ctrl + shift + v switches between the primary and secondary subtitles control.

Here are some "instructions" to have two subtitles simultaneously:
1. Add the necessary subtitles (menu Subtitle/Add Subtitle File or name them accordingly in the directory of the film).
2. Make sure that the settings of dual subtitles (menu Tools/Preferences/Subtitles / OSD/Dual Subtitles. For me it was enough to set the "Align" parameter and keep the default Offset.
3. Select the primary subtitle (I think here using keyboard shortcut or menu is the same).
4. Use ctrl + shift + v to switch to secondary subtitles control.
5. Use the keyboard shortcut alt + v to select the secondary subtitle. Do not select it through the menu entry, that doesn't work.

golosovsky
New Cone
New Cone

Postby golosovsky » 27 Dec 2020 18:42

Thank you so much for that info!

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”