Smarter subtitles, ability to disabble subtitles if audio is in the same language.

Feature requests for VLC.
Razor512
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Smarter subtitles, ability to disabble subtitles if audio is in the same language.

Postby Razor512 » 20 Feb 2019 02:59

It would be interesting if VLC could have a feature where it could do a basic check where if enabled it will look at the label of the the audio track and if its language matches the subtitles, it will disable the subtitles.
For example, imagine if you open a video that has the audio in a foreign language, but subtitles in your native language, then VLC will enable the subtitles in your language.

It could be an option that is off by default, but can be enabled to allow some automation as to when subtitles are enabled or disabled.

unidan
Developer
Developer

Re: Smarter subtitles, ability to disabble subtitles if audio is in the same language.

Postby unidan » 21 Feb 2019 13:50

Hi, I didn't really understand what you want, enable or disable?

For enabling, you have the "preferred subtitle langage" in the Subtitles/OSD category of the preferences.
For disabling, I don't really see the point but whatsoever it's currently not possible.

Razor512
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Smarter subtitles, ability to disabble subtitles if audio is in the same language.

Postby Razor512 » 22 Feb 2019 07:15

Sorry for not being more clear.

The basic idea was to have a preferred audio and subtitle language, but have some type of if-this-then-that kind of function where for example for people who play media of multiple languages they may want English subtitles when the audio is in a foreign language, but in cases when the audio is in English, the user may not want the English subtitles.

Such a feature can allow a user to have a value entered both for preferred audio language and subtitle language. In My case, I would set both to English. Now imagine I play a video file where the audio track is in a different language, but it has English subtitles, then I want VLC to enable the English subtitles.

But on the other hand if I play something with an English audio track, Even though I have the preferred subtitle language set to English, In that situation, Ihave no need for the subtitles as the audio is already in English. My request is basically seeing if it is possible for VLC to check the language of both and if both match, disable the subtitles.

Think of it like flow chart when deciding whether to enable subtitles.
It will do a check,

If audio track of the preferred language is available, then disable subtitles.
If audio track is not available in the preferred language, then enable subtitle track of the preferred language.

SemiG
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SemiG » 13 Mar 2019 17:39

That's OK - as long as you look after us Deaf ppl - I NEED subtitles - I wish ppl who generate movies for torrenting etc. would package the matching sub file wit5h the movie/whatever.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”