multiple subtitle tracks?

Feature requests for VLC.
Leto Atreides II

multiple subtitle tracks?

Postby Leto Atreides II » 20 Mar 2004 08:43

Hi, I'm not sure if it's feasible or not but a feature that I would really like to see is the ability to show multiple subtitles.

For instance choosing to display both Chinese and English subtitles at the same time. When I watch DVDs I use PowerDVD which has this option. When I watch most of my divx videos I use media player classic and use it's built in subtitle renderer in addition to the direct vobsub renderer to get multiple subtitles with divx as well.

I would like to use VLC as my main player as opposed to media player classic, but the inability to display multiple subtitles at once is holding me back. I find the feature useful when watching with people who don't all speak the same language, or when studying a foreign language.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 20 Mar 2004 11:33

this isn't technincally difficult, but we have no idea how to make such a feature selectable from the interface, without damaging usability for the much more usual case where only one subtitle track is selected at once. With DVD's you should even be able to do it allready, given that the dvd menu let you select all these tracks.

Leto Atreides II

Postby Leto Atreides II » 20 Mar 2004 16:02

Couldn't a checkbox or something similar be added to the preferences dialog, indicating one wants more than one set of subtitles? It would of course default to only one set, thus usability for the usual case isn't affected.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 20 Mar 2004 18:44

yes, it is a posibility. But there is a lot of work for a realativly small feature.

Leto Atreides II

Postby Leto Atreides II » 22 Mar 2004 01:21

Could you point me to which source files would need to be worked on? I would like to at least take a look at what needs to be done.

I've already downloaded and compiled the source on cygwin but am unsure where to begin in the code. I'm sure if I spent time on it I'd figure it out but I'm afraid I'd miss something since it'll take a while to get used to the structure of the program.

gilo

Postby gilo » 30 Apr 2004 22:47

or when studying a foreign language.
that would be nice , very nice ..

Postby Guest » 01 Jun 2004 19:42

mv2player ( a windows only freeware player) have a nice solution for this....

all of the subtitle handling in this program is quite smart actually....you can download it from (and maybe get inspired): http://mv2.czweb.org/ :)

it would be really nice to have the ability to have two subtitles......i speak english & my girlfriend is japanese, and if we want to watch a, let's say, a french movie, this becomes a mendatory! :)
wish i could program..........

good luck & thank you for a great program :wink:

Benemonth
New Cone
New Cone

Re: multiple subtitle tracks?

Postby Benemonth » 06 Feb 2012 18:48

Hi all,
I am very interested in this feature. I think it is very useful.
Can be this done? 8 years after I think is enough time to reconsider it.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 06 Feb 2012 18:53

That is what I am trying to achieve right here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=97791
Independent (each uses own proper encoding) multiple subtitles, for example English and Chinese at the same time.

iamtodor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iamtodor » 29 Jan 2019 11:21

Any plans to implement this feature? I would donate you for 10$ for an opportunity to turn on 2 different subtitles :)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”