balance control

Feature requests for VLC.
east542
New Cone
New Cone

balance control

Postby east542 » 07 Jul 2017 01:45

Winamp had balance control in the 80's it seemed like.

There isn't a single audio player out there right now that handles modern tablet displays that also handles balance control, even windows media player doesn't.

I have an old stereo system from the 60's. It has a dedicated knob for balance control.

What has happened? Are basic audio features a thing of the past, dead along with the idea that quality audio is good?

I have to bring up Reaper to have basic pan features for track.

Will someone explain what's going, why the most basic audio feature of all time, next to volume control, is missing from virtually every piece non DAW audio software out there?

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: balance control

Postby EodiV » 18 Jul 2017 10:27

I took a look and I can't find any balance control feature either. This does indeed seem like something we could include under audio effects. I created a ticket so it can be picked up in a future release. We'll see if someone gets around to it.

ticket 18546

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Aug 2017 14:55

Because it is less trivial to do with modern hardware. But we're going to wokr on it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

argencraw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby argencraw » 24 Nov 2018 21:31

With all due respect Mr. @ Jean-Baptiste Kempf, it seems to me a lie that at this point and after several complaints about it, an audio balance control in VLC has not yet been included. And even more so keeping in mind that the claims have been coming for some time. And I do not see the trivial here. For me, as for many it would be very useful. The amount of options and details that VLC has is what makes it a great program. I find it unusual and almost not pathetic to say that it does not have audio balance control.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 27 Nov 2018 02:47

With all due respect Mr. @ Jean-Baptiste Kempf, it seems to me a lie that at this point and after several complaints about it, an audio balance control in VLC has not yet been included. And even more so keeping in mind that the claims have been coming for some time. And I do not see the trivial here. For me, as for many it would be very useful. The amount of options and details that VLC has is what makes it a great program. I find it unusual and almost not pathetic to say that it does not have audio balance control.
I think you misinterpret Jean-Baptiste. I can see both in his comment here and on two related tickets in our issue tracker that this feature is being taken serious and is in fact currently being worked on.
Please be patient! Features like these take a long time, as they affect a lot of different parts of VLC (handling audio on different devices, playing different sources, adding the feature to the user interface etc.)

I looks like this feature will be added in a future version of VLC, it is not yet ready at this time.

Dagobert
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dagobert » 25 Feb 2024 14:10

Jean-Baptiste Kempf and EodiV, that was 5 years ago. I too want a balance control.
I hope you realize that with "balance" we mean a slider to adjust the volume between right and left channel.
Just a slider with equal volume in the middle. In addition to the usual volume control of course.
Not some sort of balanced sound.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”