Minimize Hotkey

Feature requests for VLC.
Techie_4Life
New Cone
New Cone

Minimize Hotkey

Postby Techie_4Life » 13 Aug 2005 19:33

i was hoping that you can put in a hotkey to minimize vlc. it's good that you can pause and get out of full screen but you still have the main window in the way. there are times, as in your supervisor walks by your desk, that you want to be able to pause and then minimize the player without having to get to the mouse. i really do love the hotkeys you have so far and how they are laid out, it's just that i would like to see this one added as well.
maybe the requests forum? :lol:

as a less direct alternative you can accomplish it this way on windows:

get the window focus to vlc:

Code: Select all

[alt] + [tab] till you get to vlc
bring up the window system menu:

[alt] + [space]
and choose minimize:

press [n]
just to clarify, i'm talking about when you have vlc in full screen mode. using the alt+space alt+n method i would first have to do space to pause then f to get out of full screen to get to the window with the menus, then use the alt functions. where as with a minimize key you could cut that down to space for pause and then the minimize key. yes your way is a little less direct but that defeats the purpose of having a hotkey right? ^^_

thanks,
Techie_4Life

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 14 Aug 2005 05:02

ok, the request is posted then..

but just to clarify there is no NEED to "alt+n" after you hit "alt+space"..

also, all the existing keymappings offer the ability to use the [alt], [ctrl] etc keys for key duality.. and you can easily change any of the mappings..

so, here's me:

1. remap "fullscreen" to be [alt] + (maybe think of it as the key for "big".. bigscreen).

2. remap "pause" to be [m].

so here's the cheat-code(fast as you can!!):

[alt] + [b] -CHANGE BIGSCREEN [alt] + [space] -SYS MENU [n] -MINIMIZE [m] -PAUSE
or hell [alt] all the keys so you can just slam your hand incrementally across B - SPACE - N - M.

:lol:

ok, I'm done.. :)

Techie_4Life
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Techie_4Life » 31 Aug 2005 01:36

i don't think you guys are getting what i am taling about. yes that way works but that is not what i am asking. i am wanting a SINGLE hotkey that's built into vlc, NOT the windows one, to minimize the player even while in full screen mode. like for example the ESC button could be the hotkey to minize the player. then all you would have to do to is hit SPACE to pause and then ESC to minimize the player.

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 31 Aug 2005 05:39

I have been almost positive that indeed I have understand exactly what was described.

but maybe I am confused now.. :?

-because hitting SPACE to pause and then ESC is not a SINGLE hotkey..

ahhh, anyway.. you shouldn't be playing at work..

pinkbecca12
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Minimize Hotkey

Postby pinkbecca12 » 01 Aug 2018 10:10

I'd love a hotkey to minimize added in hotkeys section please

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Aug 2018 12:02

There is the boss-key for that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

hohame
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hohame » 24 Jul 2022 16:09

(It's not quite what was asked here, but I stumbled on this discussion when trying to look for the solution I needed. Maybe it'll help someone.)

There is a workaround if you use a script. For example, I use a mouse gesture software (StrokesPus.net) and wanted to minimize VLC to the system tray without my music stopping with a gesture.
(I think you can do that with a macro as well, then assign such macro to a keyboard button.)

For that, I first assigned a [Boss Key] in VLC settings in [Tools→Preferences—Hotkeys] ("Esc" in my case, instead of "Exit full screen", as you can exit it by double clicking). Then I also assigned a global [Play / Pause] combination ("Fn" + "F7" in my case).
Then, I activated the script record function in StrokesPus.net and pressed "Esc", then "Fn" + "F7".
You will have pauses between keystrokes; if you want your script to execute in full immediately, you'll need to set those pauses to the minimum value.

My script (I think it's Java but I'm not sure) that works for me in StrokesPus.net:
sp.ConsumePhysicalInput(true);
/*App Definition

Owner Class Name: Shell_TrayWnd
Root Class Name: Shell_TrayWnd
Parent Class Name: #32769
Class Name: Shell_TrayWnd
Module Path: C:\Windows
Module Name (EXE): explorer.exe
*/
sp.SendVKeyUp(vk.RETURN);
sp.Sleep(0);
sp.SendVKeyDown(vk.ESCAPE);