Speed = Entering number manually

Feature requests for VLC.
jfhenault
New Cone
New Cone

Speed = Entering number manually

Postby jfhenault » 08 Oct 2017 02:11

Hi,

It would be very useful if we could simply enter the speed rate with precision in the speed box. Also, the slider change the rate by increment of 4% instead of 1% when we use the mouse.

Thank you

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Speed = Entering number manually

Postby EodiV » 19 Nov 2017 23:32

Instead of adding a new element, I wrote a proposal to make the slider wider (ticket 19111), and add new hotkeys for extra fine tuning (ticket 19112).

A new text field like option would be possible, but redundant if hotkeys can be used. Lets first see if this works well enough.

jfhenault
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jfhenault » 20 Nov 2017 03:22

Good idea! Why not enhancing things?

I appreciate your interest.

speedyfootballfan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby speedyfootballfan » 24 Feb 2018 13:20

Hi. I would like share my experience, something related to what jfhenault shared. I constantly gotta watch football matches played I can't find but after a couple of weeks, and a lot of them, so I usually use the speed options to be able to get to examine all possible highlights, often much more than the showed ones on TV. I found speeds between 1x and 2x are perfect for making this job less hard, for either most HD videos or low quality ones. 3x and upper speeds are not so much for the latter. If I gotta see a match I've already seen, they can be useful, but not so much, so I don't use them very much.
I'm very happy with the VLC. But some weeks ago I started to see tutorials on guitar and piano and other musical instruments on YouTube. It happens I discovered
extremely useful having more speeds between 1x and 2x in the VLC, and between 0x and 1x too, as YT already has, particularily for this use. The more gradual the better.
I understand why it is not very practical to make a jetplane, or sth alike, out of VLC player; so intead of it, why not to add 1.25x, 1.75x to the current options? Just an idea. I remark VLC is already awesome. Thank you very much for this beautiful piece of software, guys.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 24 Feb 2018 15:20

Hotkeys for 0.1 steps:
Faster (fine): ]
Slower (fine): [
I think that there are only few users (gurus) who need smaller steps than +-][ hotkeys already provide.
You can try Fine adjust playback speed VLC Extension: https://addons.videolan.org/p/1167844/
It can be easily improved to support entering the speed rate with precision.

jfhenault
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jfhenault » 24 Feb 2018 18:38

Thank you very much. This extension helps me a lot.

I've edited the LUA file a bit. Now, I'm searching a way to add keyboard shorcuts to this extension.

Could you give some code to show me an example of how to use hotkeys from a LUA extension?

Thank you.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”