Postby ne0ge0 » 31 Jan 2017 16:54

Bump for progress...

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Pitch Shifter/Changer

Postby rambo » 31 Jan 2017 18:15

Bump for progress...
AMEN, I think we're gonna die way, way sooner than the day this will be implemented.

verdigris
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby verdigris » 14 Feb 2017 14:23

Hey guys, time-stretch is already available to keep the soundtrack at a constant pitch when the playback speed is altered, so all it should be necessary to do is to add an interface that "inverts" the control - use time-stretch processing to change the pitch while keeping tempo constant instead of changing the tempo while keeping pitch constant.

HTH

ne0ge0
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows

Postby ne0ge0 » 08 Mar 2017 09:27

Thanks @verdigris.

@devs; is this possible?

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 08 Mar 2017 12:53

Is it?

ne0ge0
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ne0ge0 » 21 Mar 2017 19:33

Bump for progress...

marfuk8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby marfuk8 » 20 Apr 2017 14:19

Maybe :)
not just for music, I watch recorded lectures with VLC player and some of the higher pitched voices can be grating

ne0ge0
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ne0ge0 » 25 May 2017 14:42

Bump for progress...

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 28 May 2017 13:28

Can you stop this broken record? This is amounting to spam now.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 28 May 2017 15:31

LoL

It's been 4 years since this was requested, I understand the spam. May be if you guys think that you won't do it, close this thread saying that this feature is not going to be implemented. I mean, 4 years for such a simple feature is quite a lot of time, after 2 years waiting I wasn't expecting this to be in VLC.

What's the point of asking for a feature and wait 5 years or more?
None.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 28 May 2017 17:15

How the heck would I know if/when somebody will implement this feature? I can't read other people's mind.

I obviously wouldn't close a thread just because I personally don't care to implement the feature. That would be ridiculously self-centered; you are not making sense.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 29 May 2017 14:37

OK, so, once you ask a request, how do you get it up there?

I mean, if you request a feature, you want to use that feature in the near future. You can wait some months, but after 2 years waiting one does not need it already or surely has found another way or program that has that feature. There's no point in requesting a feature and wait 5 years to get it.

Is there some kind of list of feature requests sorted by importance or "adding soon"?

I thought that when one user made a feature request, this petition would be taken care of programmers so they could add it in the next few versions. That's how it works in most of the projects I see. Of course if the volume of request is big enough, developers will have to choose what feature make, but they are already communicating it. This is the first project I see where one feature request goes to "the cloud", waiting for someone to do it. That means you probably will wait ages 'till it gets implemented.

Thank you.

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 20 Jul 2017 22:50

1st of all: YES, please!!! on this feature

@Rambo: I empathize with your frustrations & sentiments!

Here are a couple things to consider & keep in mind (if you're not already doing so)... Everyone who contributes to this software as developers do so for free & because they want/choose to- for whatever reason, but at least on some level because it interests them. Software development—writing code—is a highly specialized & technical skill that tends to be rather time consuming and full of unexpected challenges. I can't speak for any of them personally, but based on simple observation (here and the update release notes), the changes, fixes, and new features that actually get implemented doesn't appear to be in any way related to the volume/quantity of requests, complaints, support here on the forum; nor does the number of people affected or how much the usability of the software is affected seem to make much difference... Basically, it seems as though in order for something to get done (fixed, added, changed, etc.) in the code, it has to be of enough personal interest for one of the developers for them to spend the time & energy required to make it happen. And they obviously each have varying amounts of time available to work on this. Then one must also realize that they may run into an issue that they don't know how to resolve, or that they realize would require unexpected significant changes to other parts of the code which they may not have the expertise, time or motivation to tackle. And that's just a little hypothetical taste of the various factors involved with adding feature or fixing bugs or broken features...
Essentially, in order to spend their own personal time & energy on working on this code they must have some type of incentive, and since there is no monetary incentive it must come from elsewhere—something personal.

I know that doesn't help to get this feature implemented or to ease your aggravation; but hopefully it may help put things into a new perspective that helps you at least understand why there doesn't seem to be any progress on this.
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 21 Jul 2017 00:22

Yeah, I know that VLC is developed for free by amazing people, but you know, it's been 3 years since a ticket about this was made, and still nothing. When you ask a feature request, you want to use it now. However, you can understand that you're not the only one, there are thousands of requests.

Anyways, after 3 years waiting, of course I've found other programs to replace VLC. You are not going to wait forever to do that thing you want. That's why I say that this method of feature request is bad. Imagine 6 years later, VLC 4.0 includes this. Well, no one would care, indeed it would be lost in the list of changes.

What really... ummm.... "annoys" me is that this request is a pretty useful tool for any musician, and I don't know how 3 years later, none of the developers have implemented this. It's a little frustrating, because it's not something very weird to request, is not that you want a very personal thing like a special effect in the screen when a video ends. The tempo changer is implemented, pitch changer is "the next thing".

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 21 Jul 2017 17:00

OK, so, once you ask a request, how do you get it up there?
Is there some kind of list of feature requests sorted by importance or "adding soon"?
Yes. There is. And it will amaze you how many feature are in there, and how many are added and resolved every day! This feature you request is rather complex, and it is on a list with a lot of other feature request, with people who also want to see their feature within two months. And there are only a handful of capable people donating their free time and effort on actually writing and reviewing the code to make it happen.
The feature has been formally added to the list 4 years ago. For reference I will provide a link to the ticket here, so you can see it is being taken seriously. You will also see not much has happened to implement this feature yet, but please be nice for our volunteers, and do not go over there just to bump the ticket. Yes it takes very long, but coding a Media Player used by millions of people who have ideas and bugs to report isn't easy. Please be patient, no matter how long it takes.

Ticket for reference, do not go there to bump!
ticket 8396

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 22 Jul 2017 14:58

Thank you, I won't "bump" it.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Aug 2017 10:20

I have an ugly patch for this :)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 25 Aug 2017 18:20

I have an ugly patch for this :)
Thank you, that's some great news. A little bit late, hahaha, few years late only, but anyways... HAHAHAHA :mrgreen:

So, what is it all about?

ne0ge0
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ne0ge0 » 27 Aug 2017 19:26

That's great news, Jean-Baptiste.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Aug 2017 14:21

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rambo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rambo » 05 Sep 2017 14:41

According to this:
http://git.videolan.org/gitweb.cgi?p=vl ... d45040b253

We should have already that pitch bar, but I'm installed the latest VLC 3.0 nightly and I haven't found any pitch bar or advanced tab where there's an option to change the pitch.

Where is it?

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”