Option to display FILE NAMES instead of META TAGS

Feature requests for VLC.
Pseudodonn7
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Option to display FILE NAMES instead of META TAGS

Postby Pseudodonn7 » 17 Jun 2016 05:22

Hey, I may have found a work around for your problem. You want the file name to display instead of the metadata title? Well, I found this thread and found all it's proposed solutions and work arounds useless as well.

Well, I was able to change the metadata title of mp4s recently but nothing else. I couldn't figure out why only mp4s were affected but no other type of file. After fiddling around, I figured out how to make any file's metadata changable. At least, with a Windows 10 device, I don't know if it works with others.

Solution:

Right click on the item and go to properties. Uncheck read only at the bottom. Hit apply. Then right-click the file again and go to Details. You're now able to alter the metadata. I just erased the title, and now when I place the file in the playlist, or anywhere, only the file only goes by the file name.

Hope this helps you! Almost a year later...

JarodKyle01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JarodKyle01 » 12 Aug 2016 16:32

This Is already been done just untick in Tools/Preferences/All/ Playlist untick automatically preparse files save exit restart vlc and all titles will now be the filenames as found in folder hope this helps

smckibbe01
New Cone
New Cone

Postby smckibbe01 » 08 Sep 2016 15:21

Does anyone know a way to override the metatitle tag for both command line and xspf files EVEN IF a meta title is hard-coded in?

Examples:

vlc.exe --meta-title="My Desired Title"

</vlc:option><vlc:option>meta-title=My Desired Title</vlc:option>

do not work.

fidorulz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fidorulz » 02 Oct 2016 14:32

We need this as an option not only on PC version but on android and iOS apps cause this is really annoying

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Oct 2016 23:11

We need this as an option not only on PC version but on android and iOS apps cause this is really annoying
On Android and iOS, you don't have the lua filename thing.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

fidorulz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fidorulz » 08 Oct 2016 02:18

On Android and iOS, you don't have the lua filename thing.
Are you saying this shouldn't be an issue in Android and ios? Cause I have it all the time on my S7 edge running latest version of VLC

I'll rename files but sometimes it will display the meta info as the title

Let me know if you need an example

jgbeall
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jgbeall » 02 Nov 2016 11:58

I got so tired of this problem, I deleted VLC and reinstalled. During the install, I unchecked the box that asks if VLC can get Network Data. Now, it is back to just displaying the file names instead of two windows, the way I like it. Hopefully, this will be optional in future releases. But, I love this software and it is the only one I use for video and audio files.

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 12 Nov 2016 09:28

I would like to have the playlist to not show the meta tag AND show the entire file name. Even when there is no meta title VLC shortens the file name to only show the program name and episode number. Often there is information in the file name like the episode title and audio info. I have unchecked the box to parse files and the unplayed files show what I want but no duration. When a video starts playing it shows the meta title if there is one. If not, it shortens the file name. If I want to remove or change the meta title to include the episode name I can use MKVmerge but that is inconvenient when there are a lot of files. There is supposed to be a way to batch this but I have not figured out how. I have to to it one file at a time. Unchecking parse is only a partial solution.

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 16 Nov 2016 14:49

I tried some of the suggestions and found another partial solution that does work. Unchecking the parse box which then shows the full filename in the playlist until the file is played. (but no duration) Under Input/Codecs, (scroll all the way down on the right) Change title according to current media enter $p. If there is no meta title it shows the FULL filename in the title bar. This means if an episode has a title and audio info you can at least see it there. The playlist will still shorten it. If there is a meta title it will display that in the playlist (even if it shows garbage like the screen shot from an earlier post) but the title bar will show the full file name.

If I am remembering right, years ago when I first started using VLC years ago the full filename was the only thing shown. It seems from the number of comments on this thread that a lot of people would like this option. I really don't understand why they shorten the file name in the playlist to only the show title to only show the show title and episode (S08E03). Sometimes files are not in the right sequence and seeing the title would help a lot, especially for many series that carry plot lines over from episodes. You can be watching out of order and wondering "what are they talking about and when did THAT happen"? Did a lot of people request this change? Did they also want only the meta title even if the whole season shows only a web site name? I have also seen an entire season showing the same meta title as the first episode.

I'm certainly not a software developer but it seems to me that giving these options is not a big deal. Just make an option for another column in the playlist. You made changes I never wanted, at least let us go back to the way it was.

fidorulz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fidorulz » 01 Dec 2016 06:45

This is driving crazy on android and PC

I downloaded a about 50 videos from a specific youtube channel and names them in alphabetical order as seen here on my phone

I open the VLC app on my S7 Edge and see the following jumbled mess(same for desktop app)

The titles attributed to the file names is coming from the metadata as seen by the desktop VLC app showing the info

We need a way to turn this off on the PC as well as on the mobile apps. Im not sure why this super simple option cant be added. Simply an option to display filename and not use the metadata

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 01 Dec 2016 17:29

"I'm not sure why this super simple option cant be added. Simply an option to display filename and not use the metadata"
My point exactly. Earlier versions only showed the complete filename. That's all I ever wanted to see. Did anyone actually ask you to shorten the filename to only the series title and episode? Did anyone really want the metadata when every title in the playlist is a web site name or just jumbled garbage? By unchecking to parse I can see the filename until it plays. Under preferences/input codecs/(last item bottom right) "change title according to current media" change to:$p it will show the full title at the top when not in full screen.

VLC is by far still the best player despite a few irritating characteristics. Don't get the idea that I don't appreciate all the work you have put into developing it. I especially appreciate that you added compatibility for HEVC. I would hate to be stuck with that crappy Quick Time or the totally worthless Windows Media.

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: v3.0.6 Portable
Operating System: Win7 (unfortunately)

Postby videobruce » 06 Dec 2016 15:35

Right click on the item and go to properties. Uncheck read only at the bottom. Hit apply. Then right-click the file again and go to Details. You're now able to alter the metadata. I just erased the title, and now when I place the file in the playlist, or anywhere, only the file only goes by the file name.
Doesn't work in Win7. The details tab just displays the info w/ no provision to edit anything. I don't recall seeing any of these files that are read only.

Two years & six months and no solution???
Please forget the bells & whistles (gimmicks) and fix the core problems.

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 07 Dec 2016 19:23

Doesn't work in Win7. The details tab just displays the info w/ no provision to edit anything. I don't recall seeing any of these files that are read only.
That never worked for me either. There is a great free program called MKVToolNix that is very useful for many things that will let you either delete or edit the title. Open the file mkvtoolnix-gui.exe.
1. Merge Tool (top button on the left) Input tab: Slide video file into the upper box.
2. Click the output tab. File title is the meta. If you just delete the title the playlist will shorten TV episodes to only the program name and episode number. (XXX S02E03). Otherwise you can put in anything you want here, copy/paste file name, put in just episode title etc. This is what will show in the playlist. You have to click the output for each file and do this.
3. Click the Start muxing button at the bottom. It is a very fast process, unlike regular conversion programs. It will create a new file renamed with a (1) at the end in the same folder. There is supposed to be some way of batching files to delete the meta but I never figured out how. You might just check my previous comment about making the file title show in the playlist until it is played and show above the video when it is not in full screen even if the playlist only shows some web site name.
This program can do many other things. You can delete or add sound or subtitle tracks. Sometimes a file with a minor defect will be completely repaired just by muxing it. A file with a more serious problem can often be made at least playable but may have glitches. Other problems like when the video and audio have different duration lengths you can shorten or lengthen one or the other. That takes some trial and error. If the audio is just out of sync that is easy to fix.
https://mkvtoolnix.download/
The only container output is MKV but you can process MP4 and others as input.

Still don't know why they can't give us an option to just show the file name in the playlist. It's obvious from the number of comments here that a lot of people besides me want that.

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby videobruce » 07 Dec 2016 22:20

It's obvious from the number of comments here that a lot of people besides me want that.

One would think we were dealing with M$. :roll:

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 09 Dec 2016 09:24

One would think we were dealing with M$. :roll:
Don't even begin to compare VideoLan to Microshaft! VLC is a free program that despite some relatively minor irritating things is still the best player available. These guys are in it because they enjoy developing software, not to get rich. Sure, they are hoping for some donations to keep things running. By the time I ran across my first HEVC file they already had an update for it.

MS's idea of "free" is an OS with "recommended" settings to hijack browsers, file associations & ad revenue. It tries to make it look like there is no option for a local account so you hand them your password and log online. In their 13 "privacy" screens there are some very serious issues like your mike is always hot. It may not matter what you turn off, their [lack of] privacy statement they pretty much say they can snoop through private folders and snitch to you out to the law. They used malware tactics for a year to nag and trick you into installing this spyware.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but VideoLan should not even be uttered in the same sentence as MS!! :lol:

videobruce
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby videobruce » 09 Dec 2016 16:43

I would agree with most of that, but between this selective log in problem and this not showing file names, kinda puts this in the same category. When there are this many posts on the two subjects and nothing is done about it, that I why I posted what I did.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 07 Jan 2017 22:09

Now you can try Lua script: Filename Forcer

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 07 Jan 2017 22:23

... AND show the entire file name. ...
You can eliminate "filename.luac" script file in VLC.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p420059

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 17 Jan 2017 07:11

... AND show the entire file name. ...
You can eliminate "filename.luac" script file in VLC.
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p420059
It looks like all that does is eliminate the dots in the filename. The dots don't bother me. I'm only annoyed that there is no way to show anything but metadata in the playlist. If there is no metadata title they shorten it to just "series name S03E06" (did anyone ask them to do that?) Filenames often have the episode title, audio info etc. If there was only and option to show the complete filename in the playlist I wouldn't care if they took out the dots. At least I figured out how to know what I am watching when the only thing in the playlist but some website name by just taking it out of full screen and it is on the top. If I hadn't found how to change that option it would also show the website name there too. I unchecked parse so I can see full filename what is next in the playlist. I do know how to use MkvToolNix to delete or change the metadata title but that is time consuming doing it one video at a time. I've looked for a program that would just batch change meta to file name but couldn't find one.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 17 Jan 2017 12:13

If there is no metadata title they shorten it to just "series name S03E06"
"filename.luac" is doing it. You can just delete the file in VLC.
If there was only and option to show the complete filename in the playlist
Meanwhile the workaround:
- Filename Forcer script
- to disable "Automatically preparse files" option in VLC preferences
- to set $p in "Change title according to current media" option in VLC preferences
- Metadata over video (better if implemented within Filename Forcer) script and to disable "Show media title on video start" option in VLC preferences
I do know how to use MkvToolNix to delete or change the metadata title but that is time consuming doing it one video at a time. I've looked for a program that would just batch change meta to file name but couldn't find one.
mkvpropedit within mkvtoolnix (mkvpropedit.exe --help)(http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3684 ... kvPropedit)

aran069
New Cone
New Cone

SOLUTION

Postby aran069 » 22 Jun 2017 01:09

Hey guys was struggling with this too but it's fairly simple to fix albeit tedious.

Open the file you're wanting to alter and go to Tools > Media Information> change the name to whatever you want> save Metadata> close

done.

If you want to make this a bit easier and if you have to alter multiple files, add them all to the playlist and click on playlist mode.

OldGeezer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby OldGeezer » 27 Jun 2017 21:53

You can also do that with a program like MKVtoolnix but that is not the point. It's a hassle to go though every file to delete metadata. Even if you do remove it the playlist still won't show the full filename. If there is an episode title they don't show it. They will shorten it to "TV Show S03E06" Did anyone ask them to do this? I didn't. At least as the other posts here show, you can get the full filename at the top of the interface. If you choose the don't preparse option the filename shows until it plays. When I first started using VLC years ago the playlistt showed only filenames regardless of whether there was metadata. This is as close as I can get to what I want.

Don't get me wrong, VLC is the best video player by far. There are things that I don't see how anyone would want them. Did you ever accidentally lean on the + key? before you can figure out what is happening the speed jumps to 64x. I have a 7th generation CPU, 32 gigs of RAM and an SSD system disk and I can't play even 8x without glitching. I sometimes use 4x to scan through a video file for errors. In the video effects there is only about 4 mouse wheel clicks on the end of the slider for hue that adjust to any screen color you would ever need. Do you ever want to watch a show that is entirely red or green? That is what nearly the entire range is. Did you ever hit R and the play switches to random? If you are watching a series and it jumps ahead 3 episodes you are wondering what the hell is going on. I removed the random button from the interface and made the random hot key a combination that I could never accidentally hit.

From the 3 pages of posts here it is obvious that many people would like the option for the full filename in the playlist, not metadata that might just be a web site name. They are also all pointing out that this really is not some difficult choice to add to the preferences.

Spiral-I-Am
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spiral-I-Am » 08 Jul 2017 11:20

Now you can try Lua script: Filename Forcer
That's a really cool script... Wish I knew how to implement it so I wouldn't have to edit hundreds of episodes.

Spiral-I-Am
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Spiral-I-Am » 08 Jul 2017 11:23

From what I can tell this has been asked for for almost 7 years, maybe longer... why isn't it just a function in the settings yet? My choices are input a Script I know nothing about, manually change over 500 episodes (plus every other series like this), or use a 3rd party program and hope to not screw everything up. I tried manually changing one season. when iI hit play it shows what I changed to, then freezes, then shows old Metadata.

cluelesscoder
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cluelesscoder » 09 Jul 2017 03:34

It looks like there is a patch at https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5455

Also from the looks of https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/17234 it seems like this was implemented but I don't see any evidence of it in the latest (vlc-3.0.0-20170708-0446-git) that I checked...

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”