bring back mono mode in audio please

Feature requests for VLC.
something8here
New Cone
New Cone

bring back mono mode in audio please

Postby something8here » 02 Jun 2016 07:35

when you are watching a movie from the 1920's or old shows from the 50's the sound (in stereo) sucks. going left channel only or right channel only is useless, reverse stereo just as useless, and MONO is gone now with the new version.

Can you bring back FULL mono, meaning take whatever is left and whatever is right and put part of the left to the right and part of the right to the left?

That way you can hear both channels on both left and right.

And I know I have read about this on other posts, but the real issue is that it used to exist and now it does not.

Most people do not have soundcards or onboard sound mixers that can do this, just like most people would prefer to use the vlc video brightness feature, and indeed may not even know how to go to their video adapter to up the brightness with hardware because their monitor is already full brightness.

or maybe it would be easier if you make into the preferences a checkbox with mono audio output (like there is a checkbox for grayscale only video output)

monoman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: bring back mono mode in audio please

Postby monoman » 15 Jun 2016 23:46

"Can you bring back FULL mono, meaning take whatever is left and whatever is right and put part of the left to the right and part of the right to the left?"

Yes, please bring it back. I found Mono and VLC mentioned in Google, but when I installed VLC, it wasn't there.

I have a friend with only one speaker. Because of the walls, he can't have a second one, and I don't want part of the left in the right. I want all of the left in the right (and all of the right in the left) so he can listen to one side and hear both.

P.S. Now what the manual says is.. . VLC media player provides four audio channels and they are:
Stereo ....
Left – You can observe this in a regular audio player with 2.1 speakers. If you select the Left option, the music is played only in the left speaker. The speaker on your right is automatically switched OFF.
Right - If you select the Right option, the music is played only in the speaker on your right side. The speaker on your left is automatically switched OFF.
Reverse Stereo....

So in Left or Right, half of the sound is missing. Maybe someone wants this but I think more people want Mono, and I know you used to do it that way too.

monoman
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby monoman » 15 Jun 2016 23:59

I really need Mono, and I see that http://www.oldversion.com/windows/vlc-media-player/ has more than 60 versions. Can someone tell me the latest version, or any version, which has mono, adding left and right together, even when the source was stereo? Much appreciated by me and my friend.

GoSatta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GoSatta » 09 Jun 2017 20:10

The makers of VLC seem to dispute that there is a need for this, despite the (don't get me wrong, I love it) player being packed full of bells and whistles that are way less useful, IMO.

I'm a music producer and need to audition a mix in true mono on a single monitor so i can see if it sounds okay. There are plenty of people who listen to music on those horrible little external mono speakers for phones these days.

That's reason enough, isn't it? So implement it please. It can't be that difficult.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 09 Jun 2017 21:41

Patch welcome.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jun 2017 19:40

The makers of VLC seem to dispute that there is a need for this, despite the (don't get me wrong, I love it) player being packed full of bells and whistles that are way less useful, IMO.

I'm a music producer and need to audition a mix in true mono on a single monitor so i can see if it sounds okay. There are plenty of people who listen to music on those horrible little external mono speakers for phones these days.

That's reason enough, isn't it? So implement it please. It can't be that difficult.
No, the issue is that it's complex to know what people want, from dual-mono, to mixed-mono, to selection of channel.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 18 Jul 2017 23:06

notice: this topic is a duplicate of https://forum.videolan.org/search.php?k ... d%5B0%5D=7.

I have given my best effort to translate all of the requests and suggestions in this topic to a single feature request the developers can work with (hopefully). I hope it covers everyones wishes, or atleast most of your wishes.

For anyone coming back to this topic, please check on this ticket to see if your feature is already underway.
ticket 18559

Hard Of Hearing
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hard Of Hearing » 19 May 2019 04:48

VLC 2.0.4 is the last version that had genuine - and very good - mono playback.

From the pull down menus : AUDIO -> AUDIO DEVICE -> choice between Mono and Stereo.

I have downgraded to this version as mono payback is ESSENTIAL to me.

For two reasons.

1. From birth, I have perforrated eardrums in both ears. As a result, my ear to ear hearing fluctuates.

2. I listen to a lot of late 60's psychedelia. Stereo was a new thing and some bands experimented wildly.

That is fine, but, after a few smokes, sometimes, switching to mono is conductive to a mellower listening experience.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”