VLC Output to HDMI

Feature requests for VLC.
ThePowerTool
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VLC Output to HDMI

Postby ThePowerTool » 02 Jun 2016 02:33

If I have a computer with a dual-head DVI card and a separate HDMI port is it possible to have VLC output video + audio direct to the HDMI port?

Important notes and clarifications:
1. Please disregard the question of whether or not the display can handle the format.
2. Primary goal is source-format of the data output to HDMI
3. I couldn't find a "general questions" area and this isn't troubleshooting so I'm asking, here.
4. I think this is a non-OS-specific question. I run on Linux using Fedora.
5. I'd really like it if it were possible to bypass using a screen (my HDMI output) as part of my desktop and only using it for purposes of displaying video files in native format and resolution. I don't know enough about computers and video to know if this is a realistic request.
6. See end of message for examples of files

I'm frustrated by digital files in different formats and a very, very high-end scan converter that can't do it's job when data is corrupted by video cards attempting to adhere to a "computer" format. If the computer alters the data from the file in the process of displaying the data then my scan converter and line quadrupler have limited value.

What I do now is I manually change the screen format every time I display a new file in a different format from the previous format.

I don't know if this is even possible: for an application to drive a video/audio output. Can this be done?

I know a lot of people look at a fuzzy screen and just don't care or, in many cases, even understand that it can be caused and exacerbated by the process of stretching the video across a desktop display.

I'm really, really frustrated having to either 1) manually force my computer to something approximating the source format of my DVRs; or 2) burn DVDs; and would like more accurate source reproduction directly from my computer. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old wedding tapes (both VCR and Beta, NTSC and PAL): I have digitized these tapes from a high-end VCR and a device providing time base correction. I can still see better quality playing from tape rather than computer.
Old TV shows recorded in the same formats
Old DVDs I recorded at 480p
* These recordings are sometimes in different formats depending on when I made the recording. If I discover I have to re-do the process of converting to digital I'll tackle that I just want to know I can display them better from a computer than my VCR and DVD player.
** I actually have a wide variety of formats and I'd like it if I could output all of them without having to manually change the resolution of my display (and just dump the file data to the HDMI port).

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”