Record button should show recording on/off

Feature requests for VLC.
jsuurkula
New Cone
New Cone

Record button should show recording on/off

Postby jsuurkula » 21 Mar 2010 07:58

It is important for us to know if the recording did start or has become interrupted.

Suggestion - make the recording button change at recording from the red dot to the whole button red with text STOP appearing in white over the whole button. Now, there is only a temporarily small orange shadow at mouseover whether recording is on or off.

jsuurkula
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Record button should show recording on/off

Postby jsuurkula » 26 Mar 2010 15:44

Addition

Why this is important: At transfer interruptions one does not know if the recording "on" is automatically switched off (though it seems probable). I have felt a great uncertainty whether the recording now is on or off as the program gives no clue what is going on.

Also, one does not always click perfectly on the button so one does not safely know if the recording has started.

sandwichx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sandwichx » 25 Jun 2011 20:54

i support this request! (the appearance can be different)

especially under linux(ubuntu) there is hardly a difference noticeable between the record-button pressed or unpressed!

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Sam Hobbs » 12 Mar 2016 17:07

I also support the fix.

It seems to be an extremely simple fix, it is just a matter of changing the icon or icons used for the states of the record button. If someone can provide a procedure for modifying the skin then that would help.

The problem is not unique to Linux, the problem is the same for Windows.

jayR
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby jayR » 13 Mar 2016 10:12

This fix is almost there. They just need to replace the second icon image with something more different from the first. When you press the record button, you will notice the red center circle is slightly moved. They need to change this!

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Ludrax » 13 Mar 2016 12:44

They just need to replace the second icon image with something more different from the first
like something flashing?
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 13 Mar 2016 17:29

They just need to replace the second icon image with something more different from the first
like something flashing?
Anything that is visually different. Flashing would work but personally that is not a requirement.

jayR

Postby jayR » 13 Mar 2016 22:39

The record button has a red circle in the center. The second icon can be changed to a red rectangle to indicate stop button.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 13 Mar 2016 23:09

The record button has a red circle in the center. The second icon can be changed to a red rectangle to indicate stop button.
Thank you.

I hope you don't mind linking to where the relevant instructions are. I am sure I could figure it out but if you already know then it would help me and others to get a pointer.

jayR

Postby jayR » 14 Mar 2016 05:29

I hope you don't mind linking to where the relevant instructions are. I am sure I could figure it out but if you already know then it would help me and others to get a pointer.
I am simply suggesting VLC team to fix that way!
You cannot fix it without VLC team fix it.

jayR

Postby jayR » 16 Mar 2016 10:05

I noticed that when buttons are on-mode, they are painted in light-blue colors and button boxes are drawn in blue color lines. This applies to the record button, the repeat button, etc. So I can tell whether in recording mode or not. Just pay attention to details.

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Sam Hobbs » 16 Mar 2016 18:13

No need to say "Just pay attention to details". That is the kind of negative words that might make you feel good but causes problems.

By coincidence, I have converted from one system to another. In my new system I do see a small difference, but it is wrong to assume that everyone sees what you see, since I did not see a difference in my old system.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”