Subtitles: can they get a black outline?

Feature requests for VLC.
Night
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.7
Operating System: Mac OS

Subtitles: can they get a black outline?

Postby Night » 06 Nov 2005 16:42

For better visibility, is is possible to assign a black outline to the chosen font or font color? Now white or yellow subs are barely sisible on light backgrounds and "professional" subtitles always have their fonts outlined in black, even an slight dropshadow sometimes, to enhance their visibilty. Can this also be done in VLC?
Intel iMac 3.4GHz i7, 27", NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, 8GB memory, Fusion drive, OSX 10.8.4, VLC 2.0.7

Postby Guest » 07 Nov 2005 10:59

This feature should be coming out (early) next year when subtitle engine will be rewritten.

Postby Guest » 10 Nov 2005 12:02

I also would like to see to more possibilities for the subtitles:
  • having them in a black box (usefull if there are already some other subtitles rendered into the avi)
  • having them below the movie (useful if a film has black strips on the full screen). this could be detected automatically I think.
But let's wait until the engine is rewritten, maybe they have these solutions then.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 11 Nov 2005 19:05

Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Postby Guest » 13 Nov 2005 04:43

The width of the black outlines should be nice if they where adjustable. they are a bit thin now. The subtitling starts to be realy good now. thanx guys.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 15 Nov 2005 01:03

The width of the black outlines should be nice if they where adjustable. they are a bit thin now. The subtitling starts to be realy good now. thanx guys.
small correction to my first reply : this will be changed in 0.8.5 :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”