VLC version 3.0 Feature Request(s)

Feature requests for VLC.
d1g1taLph3r3t
New Cone
New Cone

VLC version 3.0 Feature Request(s)

Postby d1g1taLph3r3t » 07 Mar 2015 04:50

A feature I would to see in the upcoming version of VLC (3.0) is the ability to stream DVD & Blu-Ray movies from a laptop (VLC version 3.0 installed) to a flat-screen tv which has the Google ChromeCast HDMI dongle attached.

Please reply as to whether this can be accomplished.

http://www.omgchrome.com/vlc-3-0-will-f ... t-support/

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC version 3.0 Feature Request(s)

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Mar 2015 12:49

It can. So far, it's hard, but it can.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 08 Mar 2015 23:35

It would be great if streaming to TV over LAN or WLAN would be easy in general. Unfortunately most TVs still make things difficult. I bet it's already possible for me with the TV I have, but it would take quite some effort to learn how to do it.

ericnyamu
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ericnyamu » 08 Apr 2015 14:49

Hi.Lets call this feature request the VLC tv show mode.i will try to be as clear as possible.Lets say i have several tv shows or series in my harddrive such that folder one contains The west wing tv show complete and folder two contains the Simpsons tv show complete and folder three contains Dallas tv show complete.When i launch vlc and click on the drop down menu at the top there should be an option showing all the tv shows i have been watching so that when i click on one tv show it can continue where i left off (say The West Wing Season2 Episode 4).It would be a nice feature i hope it will be considered

Jonathan42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jonathan42 » 08 Sep 2015 06:21

1. Poster - it is VERY annoying to read a subject that says" Please add new feature" or "Feature Request" etc with NO DESCRIPTION IN THE TITLE. Next time put something in the title - PLEASE. Have you never looked at the forums before and been confused when seeing vague subject titles but quite curious when you see something you have also wondered? Wonder more specifically like "VLC 3.0 - Add Chromecast Streaming?".

2. You're not the first and so people get lost between multiple repeats of the same question. See this: https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121970 titled "VLC to ChromeCast" which has some great info in it.

2. If you can't figure out how to cast to a Chromecast player, maybe you should not be doing it because you are only set for becoming very upset. Chrome already has plugins that allow casting of MP$ and a few other files, but it lacks all of the awesomeness of VLC. The double edged sword is that with great power, VLC also has so many settings it can easily be overwhelming. Don't get caught in the details. Another issue is "listing TVs". There are many manufacturers out there with their own standards, their own interfaces, and their own proprietary software so using a simply device like a Chromecast or a media player / Raspberry Pi should really be limited in options to
1. Stream to the device (Target)
2. Buffer Size
3. Resolution
4. Disable / Enable local device (Do you want it to play on your laptop screen at the same time as your TV)
5. Play / Pause / Full Screen. Next in PLaylist menu like you're used to.

More complicated than that and you lose people. Less complicated and you get playback streaming that turns into playback sputtering due to resolution too high or buffers too low for the given network throughput.
Just my opinion which doesn't even pay for coffee.

Jonathan
San Antonio, Texas (Remember the Alamo!)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”