Update feature

Feature requests for VLC.
rczebvecbs
New Cone
New Cone

Update feature

Postby rczebvecbs » 05 Mar 2015 22:27

Why is it stated within VLC media player that the player is up to date, if obviously there is an update, officially and clearly there :-| at the Videolan website itself?
From a security POV it is clear that this is not the way it should go! :(

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Update feature

Postby Cyan » 06 Mar 2015 00:44

I had the same issue a while back. I uninstalled VLC and installed the latest version 'manually'.
I agree this issue, like many others, did not get the attention it should have had. If things like these go unnoticed, I wonder how long VLC will last.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 06 Mar 2015 01:06

I just checked the website to make sure it hasn't happened to me again. Turns out my 2.1.5 should have updated to 2.2.0.

THIS IS A REOCCURING BUG. Admin please move this treat to the bug report section and let's have this issue solved asap!

since this appears to be an actual bug here is my information:
VLC version: 2.1.5 Rincewind running as 64 bit process (This bug also occurred in some previous versions)
Description: Upon checking for updates, VLC reports no newer version is available. However the official website offers a newer version. Upon retrying checking for updates, VLC still won't find any newer version.

This bug could be specific to 64 bit versions of VLC.
Version 2.2.0 has also been released for 64 bit OS. Thus the updater should have reported a new update is available.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 06 Mar 2015 17:50

VLC usually releases a new version on their web site well before it appears it the updater, so it may still be within that time period

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Cyan » 06 Mar 2015 21:37

VLC usually releases a new version on their web site well before it appears it the updater, so it may still be within that time period
Why?
And how long?

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 06 Mar 2015 21:47

I believe it's partially for a smaller initial download audience just in case there's a last minute unexpected issue that can be resolved before it's pushed out to everyone. It may also be for limiting the download traffic on the servers that results from everyone auto-updating on the same day can cause.

Someone from VLC staff can probably provide more specifics.

blu3m4n
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blu3m4n » 08 Apr 2015 19:16

Today i went to the #videolan IRC channel on freenode network and asked about this. A guy there told me that VLC usually doesn't update to .0 versions because of security.
So probably the auto update will only update to version 2.2.1 when it will be released.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Apr 2015 09:54

Not because of security, because of regressions...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”