Enqueue an item to the playlist of an existing instance

Feature requests for VLC.
Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Enqueue an item to the playlist of an existing instance

Postby Cyan » 05 Mar 2015 02:53

There already is an option called "Enqueue items into playlist in one instance mode".
The explanation on hovering it reads: "When using the one instance only option: enqueue items to playlist and keep playing current item".

I would love to be able to "Enqueue items into playlist in MULTIPLE instance mode"
The explanation on hovering would read: "When NOT using the one instance only option: enqueue items to playlist of most recent instance and keep playing current item".

When I open a file in my file manager, I want to have the option of opening it in a new instance or enqueue the item to the playlist of an existing instance.
I would imagine this choice being made by two separate options in the context menu (aka the right click menu).

Because it is difficult to convey this idea in an understandable manner, I created a fake image of a context menu, the way I imagine it should be.
Please notice the options: "Add to VLC media players playlist", which now has a small side menu to choose one of the open instances,
and the option "Play in new instance of VLC media player".

I have always found working with multiple instances of VLC is downright confusing.
It is my opinion that making these changes would clarify the usage of multiple instances, and at the same time empower the user to open files out of his file manager in whatever instance he desires.

This would make is especially easy to compose multiple playlists while browsing through music or video files.

Keep in mind VLC already supports multiple instances in this manner, there just isn't any way to open files in an existing instance other than dragging them into one.
The context menu at this time makes little sense while using multiple instances. In one instance mode every file is enqueued to the playlist of the same instance. When not in one instance mode, every file is opened in a new instance. It is difficult to group several files in their own instances, and other files in another. (dragging works, but it isn't efficient.)

Please reply with your opinion, idea(s) or question(s).
If anyone feels like spending a little time programming a solution, just like I took some time to write about this issue, I love you.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”