Soft Pause / Soft Resume

Feature requests for VLC.
Zaaphod
New Cone
New Cone

Soft Pause / Soft Resume

Postby Zaaphod » 09 Feb 2015 18:39

I would like to suggest as a feature request soft pause / soft resume. If you have your volume way up all your subs going off and shaking the floor and pause VLC it would me a much more pleasant experience if when you hit pause, it quickly reduced the volume, and then did the pause, and much more importantly, when you resume, it would be great if it un-paused VLC at the lower volume level and gradually ramped up the volume until it reached where it was at before the pause... that would be SO much better than the sudden BLAST!!! It doesn't need to reduce to zero, and it would also be great if it would rewind the track during the pause, after all if you pause it because of a distraction of any kind, if you're watching a movie, you really need to back it up a little bit anyway, and if the phone rings right when your playlist gets to your favorite part of your favorite song, why not have it automatically back it up before you resume, that way by the time it gets to full volume, you haven't missed anything. this should all be configurable by the user in preferences, and have two sets of configurations, one for audio files and one for video. parameters should be:

rate to pause ms per % default to 10 ( 1 second to get from 100% to zero)
rate to resume ms per % default to 50 (5 seconds to go from 0% to 100%)
minimum % before pause default to 10% (10% is pretty quiet and not a shock to start / stop)
Amount to rewind default to 10 seconds for audio and 60 seconds for video

Just an idea, but once you try it, you will never want to pause / resume again any other way.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Soft Pause / Soft Resume

Postby Cyan » 14 Feb 2015 00:08

GREAT IDEA!

I don't need it myself, but just reading this makes me wonder why we don't have this option yet.
In a movie you would probably miss a second or 2 as the pause isn't immediate, but especially on live music, or playlists, this would be a useful function.
Here comes the hardest part: finding someone willing to write the code. :/

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Soft Pause / Soft Resume

Postby EodiV » 17 Jul 2017 04:03

I gave this idea my own twist, and wrote a ticket for it:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/18540#ticket

Hope someone picks it up. It's just a good idea.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”