Taskbar Toolbar (like WMP9 features)

Feature requests for VLC.
palehorse
New Cone
New Cone

Taskbar Toolbar (like WMP9 features)

Postby palehorse » 23 Oct 2005 04:52

I prefer your player over all other but there is a feature I would like to see added that is available on WMP9.

I am able to minimize the WMP9 player to the taskbar leaving the controls available to access. I use the WMP for my streaming of radio stations that I listen to throughout the day and can leave it there to turn off and on as needed which I do all day.

They also have a feature that I like on the video end which allows me to watch without interfering with work I need to do on my screen at any given time. I can click on a top left little button when it is on the taskbar and a box pops up with the video without having my needed space cluttered with control bars.

I know I can use VLC to stay on top, but a big portion of space is occupied with controls, where the WMP has a clean box that is right up against the taskbar, a very efficient use of space without clutter.

This is about the only thing that I would add to this player to make it so no other one has any feature VLC lacks that cause me to use other media players for specific tasks. VLC has many things others dont, but this one feature I miss.

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 23 Oct 2005 15:29

I'm not sure to really understand what you want, but you can have the video window separated from the main interface. To do that, go to the Settings --> Preferences --> Interface --> General --> wxWidgets, and uncheck "Embed video in interface"

Asim
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Asim » 23 Oct 2005 15:38

he is referring to how WMP is minimized (when clicking on the minimized button) onto the taskbar with basic buttons such as play, stop etc etc...

Postby Guest » 25 Oct 2005 12:59

I followed those settings and that did exactly what I wanted along with having it be always on top. In fact it is better than WMP since I can control the size of the VLC screen vs WMP for the equal ability to watch without clutter around the screen and it not be in the way of the work I am doing.

I do like how WMP minimizes to the taskbar but with the controls set off seperate it is not that much different, easy to access but the WMP minimization would be a nice evolution of VLC.

Thanks for the help

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”