Automatically stretch aspect ratio for 4:3 ratios?

Feature requests for VLC.
Jito463
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Automatically stretch aspect ratio for 4:3 ratios?

Postby Jito463 » 11 Mar 2014 22:58

This isn't a problem, more of a general question. However, since I didn't see a general discussion section for the forum, I'll have to post it here.

I watch a lot of older TV shows that were recorded in 4:3 aspect ratio on my widescreen LCD. I like to force them to 16:10 ratio (my monitor is 16:9, but that is an awkward stretching of the video), as it makes them more viewable to me. I've got it setup at the moment, so I can run them at launch, forced to 16:10, but I have to choose it from the context menu. Not a major hassle, but it is slightly inconvenient. What I'd like - and I don't know if VLC is even capable of this - is to have VLC automatically detect if a video is running in 4:3 ratio, and stretch it to 16:10 without my input.

I know there's an option in the settings to force a specific aspect ratio, but if I'm not mistaken that will force it for everything. Not all the videos I watch need to be stretched, so I'd prefer to have it only adjust for those in 4:3 ratio.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do this? If not, perhaps it's a feature that could be looked into for a future release.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”