"Starting VLC With Equalizer On" Option

Feature requests for VLC.
Zareidriel
New Cone
New Cone

"Starting VLC With Equalizer On" Option

Postby Zareidriel » 21 Feb 2014 03:38

It seems like this would be a pretty easy feature to add.

Every time I start VLC, be it music, video, or "whatever", the first thing I have to do every time is Tools => Effects (or ctrl+E) and turn the equalizer on.

So after turning the equalizer on several thousand times, I thought, hey, maybe it wouldn't be too much trouble to code a solution?

And so here I am with my request. Is it easy? Feasible? Does the option exist already and I'm just blind?

Thank you for your time.

BrentNewland
New Cone
New Cone

Re: "Starting VLC With Equalizer On" Option

Postby BrentNewland » 24 Feb 2014 08:48

This might be a bug. There's a checkbox "write changes to config" that records whether the "Enable" button is checked, but not the values the equalizer is set to.

There are other options in the Adjustments and Effects window that don't work like you would expect. The checkboxes in the Audio Effects tab all persist after restart of VLC if the "Write changes to config" box is checked, but the drop-down and the sliders aren't. I also checked every single box under Video Effects, and not a single one remained checked when VLC is restarted.

Zareidriel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zareidriel » 26 Feb 2014 04:22

Hmm, I just un-installed everything, made sure the old cache and options were deleted, and re-installed a fresh copy of VLC.

Nevertheless, even when I "write changes to config" neither the checkmark for the Equalizer, nor the Spatializer, nor the Compressor remained checked when I restarted VLC.

I believe it's the same way on my laptop, that the settings are not saved; part of the reason I requested this feature.

Strangely enough, the "2 Pass" box did stay checked upon restart, though it was greyed out since the Equalizer box was unchecked.

Could this be a bug just on my machine? Or is there a Preference that has gone unnoticed?

Is anyone able to offer help or advice? Something to try?

andy_blah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby andy_blah » 25 Apr 2014 20:11

I'm having the same problems with the equalizer window on 2.1.3 and 2.1.2, and on both Windows and Debian.
On Debian (2.1.2) it worked for 2-3 sessions, but after a while it stopped working, no matter how many times I tick "Write changes to config" it just doesn't do it, and every time I restart VLC, I have to set the equalizer sliders all over again, making this quite annoying. On Windows it didn't work from the beginning, at least on this version.

andy_blah
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby andy_blah » 27 Apr 2014 17:56

Any solutions to this...?

PhotoBoothe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PhotoBoothe » 28 Apr 2014 10:01

Argh, I hope VLC does not go the way of Firefox, where they seem to do away with common sense features for no reason and are turning a once-great program into a major pain with their silly version race.
When I first discovered VLC, one of the things I loved about it was the Volume going up to 200%. (I owned a laptop with pitiful native built-in speakers.) Then, after a VLC update, the max volume came down to 125% and I had to turn to these forums and wade through the "advanced" settings merely to RESTORE one of the first features I loved about VLC!
Unlike others in this thread, I had been having no problem keeping the equalizer turned on - with 2.1.2 on my desktop. Now that I have installed VLC 2.3 onto a notebook pc however, I AM having the issue on that installation of having to re-enable the equalizer EVERY SINGLE BLANKIN' time I start the program. So my first hunch was that this problem was a new "feature" starting with 2.2 or 2.3...?
I should note that the EQ settings themself seem to be being preserved, but still, having to re-enable the equalizer EVERY single time I start to play a song is a MASSIVE PAIN.
I hope that someone can A) show me how to correct this issue, and B), if the issue IS due to a recent change, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY UNDO THAT CHANGE in the next version...
Thank you...

PhotoBoothe
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PhotoBoothe » 28 Apr 2014 10:32

Just a PS to my above comment. I have now UNinstalled VLC 2.3 from the notebook and replaced it with VLC 2.0.6 from an older installation file which I'd saved. (Those older version installers can come in VERY handy when it comes to combating maddening program changes!)
VLC 2.0.6 lacks the rather handy "write changes to config" option for automatically "saving" any changes I make to the EQ settings, but with VLC 2.0.6 the equalizer itself IS indeed staying "ON" when I've left it on...! So I very much fear that this INSANE UNfeature of having to re-enable the equalizer every single time is a product of one of the more recent SO-CALLED "updates."

Zareidriel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Zareidriel » 09 Mar 2015 20:55

I'm back. Wow a year already? Well I'd like to second what PhotoBoothe said. I installed 2.0.5 and it not only saves the equalizer settings, but the volume level as well. No more clicking tools and equalizer every.single.time I start VLC.

Go to oldversion.com and get 2.0.5 if you want a VLC that is, in my opinion, drastically improved from the new.

VLC GUYS: Install this "new feature" and the entire internet will thank you.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”