Can you please add true full screen support for Milkdrop?

Feature requests for VLC.
phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Can you please add true full screen support for Milkdrop?

Postby phrost » 04 Sep 2013 10:41

Maybe it's time to replace project M? The latest version of MilkDrop is open source.. please add full screen support! Thank you!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/milkdrop2/

edit: I just tried it with the 2.1 RC 64-bit and noticed that the goom plugin scales to full screen perfectly, but the projectM plugin has some trouble still.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Can you please add true full screen support for Milkdrop

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Sep 2013 00:28

I doubt milkdrop2 runs on all platforms.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phrost » 06 Sep 2013 16:56

why wouldn't it? projectm runs on all platforms and it's based off of milkdrop

and even if you can't integrate milkdrop.. can you at least add full screen support for projectm?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Sep 2013 23:51

No, projectm is not based on milkdrop, it is a milkdrop reimplementation.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phrost » 10 Sep 2013 07:41

oh ok.. so I guess they'll be no milkdrop :'(

what about adding full screen to projectm?

phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phrost » 22 Sep 2013 00:51

any updates regarding full screen projectm?

phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phrost » 27 Sep 2013 09:20

Thanks for adding full screen support. Now can you make it stretch to fill the whole screen?

phrost
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phrost » 03 Oct 2013 05:56

bump?

auralarch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.2.6
Operating System: Mac OS, Win7 x64

Postby auralarch » 08 Jun 2014 16:28

oh ok.. so I guess they'll be no milkdrop :'(

I had the same idea when Milkdrop 2 finally went open source. Unfortunately Milkdrop requires (it's actually totally based on) Microsoft's Direct X which only runs on Windows (it has been utilized with varying degrees of success on Linux based systems as well as OS X via Wine but that is beyond the scope of VLC).
I wish there was some way to make it work, but apparently a quick-fix is impossible and a full re-write of the code would be required (presumably utilizing Open GL) even though the code is open source. And that would obviously be quite an undertaking- which is unfortunately FAR beyond my abilities... And what you'd end up with would be more closely related to ProjectM- which already exists. It seems like it would make more sense to create a branch of ProjectM.
And despite the claims made about ProjectM by the authors, it does not fully support Milkdrop v2+ presets- particularly those which rely on pixel shaders 2.0 which includes my favorites and arguably most of the best Milkdrop 2 presets. And even the limited support for shaders is not enabled/included in the default build. It must be reconfigured & build from sources with the specific intentions of making it MD2 compatible, extra 3rd party software is also required (mainly Nvidia's CG toolkit).
But as I said, even after all that, the support for shaders & MD2 presets is limited & incomplete. In fact there's confusing & conflicting information on the forums as to what enabling the CG toolkit actually does, and even whether it has the ability to provide full support for pixel shaders 2.0!

I would love to see the original authors of ProjectM release an update based on the open sourced Milkdrop 2 code to really, truly provide full support for shaders and ALL MD2 presets. Even though ProjectM is a re-implementation of Milkdrop not directly based on it, the developers did have access to (make use of) the code for Milkdrop v1 while writing ProjectM. And one of the main reasons they cite for not providing full support for MD2 presets is that they didn't have access to that code as they did for MD1. Well, that code is now available- so what's the holdup?

Another significant issue with ProjectM is the lack of or incomplete support for "textures".

I think many/most people would agree: Milkdrop 2 has provided for some of the most attractive, stunning & diverse beat-synced visualizations seen to date in any framework. And there is no question that it has supported the production of largest shear number of visualization presets available for any framework (there are over 10,000 presets available written & tweaked by thousands of users).
And nothing exists to my knowledge which even has the potential of rivaling or replacing all that.

It's a shame: That nobody has found it worthy of of their time & effort to somehow find a way to make all those presets play in all their glory in VLC!
Computers:
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Core i7 930 (ALC892 onboard audio), 24GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6870; Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (ALC898) Core i7 920, 18GB DDR3, XFX Radeon HD 5770; MacPro5,1 8GB RAM; Toshiba Satellite L640
OSes:
Mac OS X 10.8.5; Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”