Way to play clips from within (a bunch of) movies?

Feature requests for VLC.
tryguy
New Cone
New Cone

Way to play clips from within (a bunch of) movies?

Postby tryguy » 22 Apr 2013 08:02

So, I like to loop the opening and ending songs of anime. I have a lot of anime, and I thought it would be great if I could make a playlist of clips from these full-length episodes I have without actually cutting the songs out into clips.

Would this be possible? I think if it were, you could then have a jukebox-like effect where you have a playlist of all your favorite clips and put playback on random shuffle. This would be awesome to have in the background as I work--and when I hear something I like, I can switch to it and watch.

This would work not only for opening/closing songs, but also for favorite moments users want to see in isolation from the parent anime.

So, I'm pretty sure a user would need to select the clips manually, like OreImo03.mkv:00:35-02:34 and OreImo03.mkv:22:04-23:34, etc.

And you do that with all your anime and save the playlist, and then you're free to play them all back.

So, is this possible? Because I'm really craving this functionality, and I don't think any other movie player has this, do they?

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: Way to play clips from within (a bunch of) movies?

Postby TypX » 22 Apr 2013 10:01

You can try to use the advanced playlist options:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=107133#p362790

tryguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tryguy » 22 Apr 2013 14:59

Hey thanks for replying!

I first tried to edit the playlist that's saved from VLC, adding start-time and stop-time elements, but I couldn't get that to work. So, I switched over to using the much less complicated format of M3U, and that works. I use the custom bookmarked times I saved in the first playlist in the second. And, I think it'll do the job very nicely.

Here's what it looks like:

Code: Select all

#EXTM3U #Opening Song #EXTINF:1419751,OreImo3.mkv #EXTVLCOPT:start-time=35 #EXTVLCOPT:stop-time=124.5 D:\Anime\OreImo3.mkv #Ending Song #EXTINF:1419751,OreImo3.mkv #EXTVLCOPT:start-time=1324 #EXTVLCOPT:stop-time=1414.5 D:\Anime\OreImo3.mkv
So, this should be good enough for me to go on with.

Can anyone tell me if I can incorporate a control for switching on Loop and Random when I use this playlist to run VLC? Or do I just have to turn it on and off manually?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help. I'll now spend quite a bit of time selecting clips. But, I think it'll be worth it in the end...

Seeya.

tryguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tryguy » 22 Apr 2013 17:48

Oh, just before I go, would there be a way of dynamically altering the volume of individual tracks? Some of the songs are noticeably louder or softer than others, and it'd be handy if I could inform VLC to adjust the volume appropriately.

Other than that, this system works very well in making a playlist of clips, music or otherwise. I've done about 10 anime, and it didn't take long at all.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”