power management - standby / screensaver while paused

Feature requests for VLC.
wiedehopf
New Cone
New Cone

power management - standby / screensaver while paused

Postby wiedehopf » 14 Apr 2012 09:57

I'd like to request an option to make VLC allwo standby / screensaver while paused.

(as a default i think it could save quite some energy everywhere - while leaving an option to disable the behavior)

In long:
Ok so i regurlarly pause a video to leave my pc to do sth else. Normally if i leave my pc will go into standby to save energy after a couple of minutes. When i watch a video though i would pause the video before leaving so i can continue watching later, but my PC doesnt go to standby. I might remember to standby manually but my mother does not. So while i appreciate VLC disabling standby while playing a video, when i pause a video why should it still do it?

Thank you for your consideration!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: power management - standby / screensaver while paused

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2012 10:55

This is in my worklist. (for Windows releases)

eastcoaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eastcoaster » 20 May 2012 04:19

I have the same request. I am used to Windows Media player which automatically activates the "Windows 7 - Screen Saver" or "Windows 7 - Turn Off Display" functions during inactivity such as Paused Video or No Video Playback and even while playing Music with the Windows Media Player option "Allow Screensaver During Playback".
But the current "VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower" doesn't allow Screen Saver or Turn Display Off in my Windows 7 Laptop and PC. Please activate this feature in the next update or release. This will allow to save a lot of electricity (energy) making VLC "Green". Thanks.

eastcoaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eastcoaster » 05 Jul 2012 02:27

Hello, did you add this option to the new 2.0.2 Twoflower release as mentioned above?

eastcoaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eastcoaster » 29 Jul 2012 18:50

Helloooooo! Would anyone reply please?

evasive
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby evasive » 21 Aug 2012 13:56

This is part of a bigger issue with power management/VLC interference that can also cause jittery playback/stutter because the system timer is not properly read for some odd reason. I have no idea how they solved this in WMP that is working fine on all machines affected by this issue. Workaround so far is to disable power management in bios, reboot into windows, restart system and enable power management again. That workarounds the stutter. This old old issue however, I don't know when the fix will come. I guess there's things with more priority...

eastcoaster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eastcoaster » 25 Oct 2012 21:59

This is part of a bigger issue with power management/VLC interference that can also cause jittery playback/stutter because the system timer is not properly read for some odd reason. I have no idea how they solved this in WMP that is working fine on all machines affected by this issue. Workaround so far is to disable power management in bios, reboot into windows, restart system and enable power management again. That workarounds the stutter. This old old issue however, I don't know when the fix will come. I guess there's things with more priority...
Its not just WMP that solved this. Every other media player such as QuickTime, Realtime, DIVX Player have this function (Solved). This is not a function that VLC needs to solve. This is something that VLC has deliberately blocked in their program. VLC blocks (prevents) Windows Operating System from initializing Monitor Turn Off, Screensaver and even Windows Standby-Hibernate functions, while a video file is paused. And instead of discussing this topic here which is the purpose of forums, Its really unfortunate that VLC_help doesn't even bother to respond to forum messages and his own message in April 2012 when he said this was on his worklist for Windows release which did not happen in the new release.

DotPdf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DotPdf » 29 Dec 2012 16:20

Please fix this

amethyst_igor
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.04
Operating System: Linux

Postby amethyst_igor » 01 Jan 2013 08:35

The solution is easy. Upgrade to Linux. You can configure the screensaver to behave as you like and customize every other aspect of the operating system the way you like it. And your processor won't be devoting so many resources to antivirus, DRM, and Windows Genuine Disadvantage. I recommend Linux Mint Nadia Xfce for starters. Don't throw your Windows 7 install dvd in the garbage can, though, because you can sell it on Ebay and buy yourself extra memory.
My desktop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Maya Xfce, my htpc runs Linux Mint Nadia Xfce, my answering machine runs Windows 7, and my laptop runs 64-bit Linux Mint Maya Mate.

collinsp
New Cone
New Cone

Postby collinsp » 08 Feb 2013 15:17

Sure would like to see this fixed -- have machine on all night, many nights, because of this! Going Linux is not an answer for many -- not for me and my family, that's for sure.

fishyrich
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fishyrich » 02 Mar 2013 23:59

This is such a basic feature, I can't imagine what else is on the task list that is more important than this. VLC is the best player out there, but, let's face it, it has a lot of superfluous features. And yet it still can't do frame-by-frame in reverse (only forwards), and it persists in blocking standby. Come on, Videolan, get your priorities right!

bartgrefte
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bartgrefte » 01 Nov 2013 13:13

Is there any update on this? And not just suspend to RAM and screensaver, but also monitor standby.

lorne1525
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lorne1525 » 26 Oct 2014 03:53

Please dont make me switch to windows media player.
You NEED this feature

JimmyN
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JimmyN » 04 Nov 2014 00:57

Well, 2 years and on going. HAHAHA what a joke :lol:

Switch to MPC

amk1969
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amk1969 » 19 Dec 2017 10:31

I would just like to report that VLC 2.2.2 Weatherwax from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS repository continues to have this problem. Also tracked at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/589722

Suspend is inhibited in playing as well as during pause. Ideally there would be two separate configuration properties, one for playback another for pause/minimize.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3724 suggests that version 3.0 could have the pause working better.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”