Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy to a

Feature requests for VLC.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy

Postby VLC_help » 06 Mar 2012 19:25

I made video filter for this, I try make it a little better and hopefully it will be accepte one day.

GaspingSpark
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GaspingSpark » 06 Mar 2012 21:47

I had to use Media Player Classic yesterday because of a VLC limitation (*cough* lacks forced DVD subs *cough*) and one of the most irritating parts of the experience was the "pause glitch" every time I double-clicked to switch between full-screen and windowed mode. I do the double-click action constantly on my multi-monitor setup while shifting windows around so after a couple of hours of it I wanted to smack the MPC devs. It blows my mind how many people are begging to have this evilness added to my beloved VLC. :o

Devs, if the mob does corner you with their torches and pitchforks and forces you to add this feature in the future, please:
  • Give us the ability to turn it off if we wish.
  • Correctly differentiate between single-click pause/play and double-click full-screen/windowed functions without the "pause glitch."

AnotherLife
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AnotherLife » 06 Mar 2012 22:34

It could be an option :geek:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Mar 2012 19:03

Give us the ability to turn it off if we wish.
It has to be off by default because otherwise it will break current filters that need mouse clicks.

jonjonjonj
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jonjonjonj » 22 Jun 2012 18:04

this feature is a must have and a deal breaker for me. like a lot of other people its the main reason i use media player classic. anytime i use vlc i find myself clicking the video multiple times trying to play/pause the video before i realize i have to click the tiny play button. if a dvd menu is on the screen the play/pause should be disabled and a left click should be used for the dvd menu and if a menu isnt present it should play/pause. people complain about the quick pause then play that occurs when you double click to go full screen. this doesnt bother me because the screen flashes when i go full screen anyway and i click play/pause way more then i double click to go full screen. plus there should be an option so people can disable it if it bothers them. dvd menus and play/pause on full screen are not good enough reasons for this essential feature not to be implemented. this thread was started in 2007 so i wont hold my breath and will continue using MPC.

roxs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roxs » 03 Jul 2012 16:22

This is the main reason that VLC is not my primary video player. That and the fact that playback track bar doesn't get maximized to the screen width in the full screen mode.
On another thread i saw many months ago, that the maximized time bar will be looked into by version 2. but still no changes =(

and i was surprised that the click screen pause/play feature is not implemented.

hope this 2 features get implemented in the next few versions.. or at least by version 3!

VLmurphy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLmurphy » 06 Jul 2012 04:50

Actually, at first I did not bother to comment since the general tone was that of rejection due to unwillingness to take the time and understand the user's specific problem (quite common for brilliant engineers with less brilliant user interaction skills).
What about users unable to read devs answer ?
Apparently it's rather a matter of lacking acceptance than of reading disabilities.

This is what the users see:
• MPC can do it ... ^^
• YouTube can do it ... ^^
• almost any web player can do it ... (so users get used to it)
• ... VLC cannot do it. -_-

So whatever explanation about filters and navigation won't help it, and also won't stop a remarkable number of users to register only for expressing the same complaint, just like I did. Solving the problem, however, would ... and I guess that's what LongTimeVLCuser wanted to point out.

Anyway, most probably the meant answer would be:
yes, you got the right click menu (improved in next version) and the mouse gestures.
Using the right click menu for that purpose is (too) fiddly, but using the mouse gestures could be a close-enough workaround for many of those who posted here ... Alas, the chosen play/pause implementation is tricky as well:

left-right or right-left :roll:

Whenever I try to use that, I'm ending up in activating left (skipping backward) or right (skipping forward) instead.
As opposed to the distinction between a click and a double click (GaspingSpark's problem), this requires a little more
than just basic manual skills 8)

So why not just using the gesture none for this essential functionality?!
Combined with the left button for gestures, mousedown —> no movement —> mouseup would equate exactly to the
desired action: a simple mouse click.

But ... I can already hear the answer:
There has to be a movement, whatsoever, to trigger a mouse gesture action.

Duh.

So if that's the case now, customizable mouse gestures are badly needed. The gestures up and down (volume control) are dispensable anyway, for all those who have a scroll wheel, like me. For the sake of usability to some degree my suggestion would be to replace them with the following:

up : play / pause
down : stop
or even better
up : play / replay
down : pause / stop

Hopefully there will be any suitable solution in the not-so-distant future ... :-|

SouzaRM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SouzaRM » 14 Oct 2012 19:12

(...)
This is what the users see:
• MPC can do it ... ^^
• YouTube can do it ... ^^
• almost any web player can do it ... (so users get used to it)
(...)

Fishi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fishi » 03 Nov 2012 18:51

Hi guys, I also wanted this feature and noticed it was unavailable so I downloaded the 2.0.4 source code and patched it into the gestures module (modules/control/gestures.c). It was not difficult but when I checked the latest Git source code with the purpose to provide a patch, the gestures module has been changed a lot since 2.0.4 and actually seems broken for me. Mailed the dev mailing list about it and it seems that the original author has not been around for several years so I won't be providing a patch to the latest Git code.

BUT, if you know how to compile VLC then feel free to use this code for gestures.c: http://pastebin.com/8J8a0UVv instead of the one in the official 2.0.4 source code and then activate it [Tools->Preferences] Show settings->All, [Interface->Control interface] Click the "Mouse gestures control interface", [Interface->Control interface->Gestures] set "Click to pause" to Left for example, restart VLC, go!

Works great for me. Maybe this will help someone, cheers.

VLmurphy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLmurphy » 03 Nov 2012 20:52

Why not just using the gesture none for this essential functionality?!
Combined with the left button for gestures, mousedown —> no movement —> mouseup
would equate exactly to the desired action: a simple mouse click.
So quite possibly I was on the right track here ... :wink:

JayM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JayM » 27 Dec 2012 16:19

I really would love that feature too. I'm a developer and I really don't see any reason not to implement it. Sorry to say, for me it looks like the developers here just dont want it. And I really have no idea why.

But I have an alternative solution: Use the middle mouse button for pause/play or at least implement an option to use this.

Bejje
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.x
Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04

Postby Bejje » 09 Jan 2013 14:34

I totally agree. I have been using MPC for many years because it has this feature and is a good player.
Now I have stopped using Windows and only use Ubuntu instead, but unfortunately there is no MPC version for Linux, so VLC is the next bet choice.

The problem for me is that my keyboard is not wireless, but my mouse is, so when I play videos on my TV, i bring the mouse to the livingroom table to start, stop and change file and cannot pause/play with the keyboard since it's not wireless.
It would be much more easy to just be able to click anywhere on the screen like with MPC instead of trying to hit the small pause button.

Please VideoLAN, implement this feature.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 09 Jan 2013 22:14

i bring the mouse to the livingroom table to start, stop and change file and cannot pause/play with the keyboard since it's not wireless
And your wireless mouse is incapable of right clicking?

Bejje
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.x
Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04

Postby Bejje » 09 Jan 2013 23:27

i bring the mouse to the livingroom table to start, stop and change file and cannot pause/play with the keyboard since it's not wireless
And your wireless mouse is incapable of right clicking?
No, but there is no way to pause/play that is more easy than just clicking anywhere on the screen. To rightclick and select pause from the tiny menu or to press the pause button on the lower menu is much more easy to miss and takes sometimes several seconds instead of just clicking anywhere.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 02 Feb 2013 15:33

Now you can try this feature as a VLC2.0.x Extension: Click screen to PAUSE / PLAY

Fishi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fishi » 24 Feb 2013 15:33

Now you can try this feature as a VLC2.0.x Extension: Click screen to PAUSE / PLAY
Nice, simpler than my solution and seems to work fine, using it instead now. :)

noxcovenant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby noxcovenant » 23 Mar 2013 19:43

Hmm. Doesn't seem to work:

I tried enabling it through the menu several times, but left-clicking still doesn't pause the video. Thanks anyway for trying. This should be a standard feature anyway. :D

IMO, VLC developers need to revisit the importance they place on filters (somewhat of an advanced user feature) when their user demographic probably consists mostly of casual video watchers who want basic functionality queued up to their mouse. I fear that they're probably turning away hundreds and thousands of people just from this simple design choice. And it's really unnecessary. It's possible to please the casual userbase with a simple fix, AND please the advanced users by simply putting the filters in the right-click context menu. There's a reason why so many people MPC and Youtube, and it's not because the players produce superior video quality. It's because of their insistence on prioritizing intuitive program design. When it's easier to use your program, people use it more.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 23 Mar 2013 20:46

@noxcovenant
What OS and VLC version?

noxcovenant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby noxcovenant » 23 Mar 2013 22:52

@noxcovenant
What OS and VLC version?
dangit, lol, I'm stupid.

I forgot to upgrade to 2.0

Now it works. VLC is a little bit more friendly now. The audio kinda stutters before the pause (youtube/MPC don't), but I can live with that.

Thanks.

IBIT.ZEE
New Cone
New Cone

Postby IBIT.ZEE » 17 Sep 2013 14:55

I think this is a so useful feature... :D
and so widely used... :lol:
and any YouTube user will expect to work in that way... :evil:

that should be integrated in the product 8)
the integration will solve the problem of "ticking/mark" the menu each VLC restart,,, :geek:

Thanks,

ZEE

areht
New Cone
New Cone

Postby areht » 24 Sep 2013 07:13

szir
New Cone
New Cone

Postby szir » 10 May 2015 15:02

ANNOUNCEMENT: starting from VLC version 2.1 this extension stopped working, because VLC developers have removed few important callback from lua API, which this extension was relying on
I could not get it to work in VLC 2.2.1, (nor should I be required to download, install extensions for this basic simple feature IMHO).

I only use VLC for weird stuff that MPC-HC does not play correctly.
I have tried VLC a few times over many-many years, but I always switched back right away to MPC and later MPC-HC because they are much more convenient for me.
As others have already stated this feature works very well in Media Player Classic Home Cinema and has been for about a decade. MPC-HC can also handle DVD menus, double-click to fullscreen, and grab the player (by any non-control part of the window) to drag it with just the left mouse button.

So, how is this still a thing in 2015? (This feature has been requested for more than 7 years.)

Here are some inquiries for the kind developers :
Are these things software patented?
Can no VLC UI developer grab part of MPC’s code and rewrite it into VLC codebase? (I don’t think you have to reinvent the wheel.)
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/blob/d ... eTouch.cpp ...
If I’m not mistaken both code has GPL v3 license, so that would not be an issue.
Too little time, too low on the priority list?
What exactly would implementing this feature break? How can it be fixed?
What does the mouse gesture control interface actually do? (I’m not asking what the user can do with it - https://wiki.videolan.org/Mouse_Gestures .) Can it be made to handle these features? (play/pause, drag player on non-mobile devices) Configure it somehow? There is not much configuration option on the UI for it. Do we need an alternate mouse gesture CI? Can even CI modules handle mouse down/up, click events properly without breaking stuff? (Someone already posted a patched code, does that not work? Will it be merged to trunk?) How is the UI SW architecture built up, where can we grab the needed mouse event?

Why is this still a thing?

VLC's core media player part is a work of art, but the UI/UX design needs some/much work.
If I could have VLC's media player with MPC-HC's GUI it probably would be my dream player.

If this feature cannot be implemented with a couple of hours of work by someone who is familiar with the codebase, then I think the SW architecture should be rethought, because it’s probably not meant for the 21’s century ;)
I had to use Media Player Classic yesterday because of a VLC limitation (*cough* lacks forced DVD subs *cough*) and one of the most irritating parts of the experience was the "pause glitch" every time I double-clicked to switch between full-screen and windowed mode. I do the double-click action constantly on my multi-monitor setup while shifting windows around so after a couple of hours of it I wanted to smack the MPC devs. It blows my mind how many people are begging to have this evilness added to my beloved VLC. :o

Devs, if the mob does corner you with their torches and pitchforks and forces you to add this feature in the future, please:
  • Give us the ability to turn it off if we wish.
  • Correctly differentiate between single-click pause/play and double-click full-screen/windowed functions without the "pause glitch."
MPC-HC: Options – Player – Keys
There are a couple of columns there like Cmd, Key, Mouse and there are many rows like Fullscreen, Play/Pause. If you don’t like the double click mouse glitch, you can remove/ reassign any of them as you wish. But at least it’s there, and you have the option to do so.
Whereas in VLC you have no way as far as I can tell.

Archedemus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy to a

Postby Archedemus » 14 May 2015 00:27

HELLO,

I AM NOT TECH SAVVY.
HOWEVER, I KNOW WHAT I LIKE.
I LIKE THE WAY YOUTUBE AND MOST OTHER VIDEO PLAYERS WORK.
I LIKE THE WAY YOU SIMPLY LEFT CLICK ANYWHERE ON THE SCREEN
TO PAUSE/PLAY THE VIDEO.
THIS IS WHAT I LIKE AND I WANT VIDEOLAN TO WORK THIS WAY TOO.

IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK? :?:

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM. :!:

THANKS FOR READING MY REQUEST.

P.S. IT SEEMS THAT MOST USERS ALSO WANT THIS FUNCTIONALITY.

VLmurphy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby VLmurphy » 10 Sep 2016 20:11

From what I read in another thread that mederi linked to in the last post on page 2 of this thread I think it's safe to say that you don't even have to bother trying out the extensions posted there, because they won't work anymore with current VLC versions anyway.

Callbacks were removed from the Lua API in VLC 2.0.1 because they were supposedly causing unstable behavior of VLC, and these extensions apparently needed that functionality.

So the first and foremost question persists:

Why is "Click screen to pause / play" still not the default behavior of VLC?

Or at least an option?

Or is there now an option in the preferences already I'm not aware of?

Thanks

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 30 Oct 2016 16:38

Why is "Click screen to pause / play" still not the default behavior of VLC?
Historically, the single mouse click has been captured by some optional video filters, and by DVD/BD menus. If VLC paused on single clicks, then those use cases would just break. The problem with filters has more or less been resolved a few years ago by former developper Laurent Aimar.

But the problem remains DVD and BD menus are an essential feature. And that's a lot more important than some somewhat obscure video filters.
Or at least an option?
It is not an option because nobody made it an option. Reimplementing the Lua script at the top of one of the other threads in native code would not be that hard, but it would break DVD and BD playback.

As to why nobody did it, well this is restating the obvious but: lack of motivation, lack of time and/or lack of expertise.
Or is there now an option in the preferences already I'm not aware of?
Not so far.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”