Full screen control for 3D display

Feature requests for VLC.
sccy
New Cone
New Cone

Full screen control for 3D display

Postby sccy » 26 Oct 2012 17:50

Hi all,

As we see 3D movies are getting very popular lately and the two most available/common 3D movie/broadcast formats are the side-by-side and top-and-bottom. I have a PC at home used as the media player and a 3D-supported TV as the display. The TV itself supports side-by-side and top-and-bottom.

I love using VLC player to play my movies and it is THE ONE player that I trust. :D Things work perfectly except when I am playing something 3D. When my TV converts, for instance, a side-by-side format into 3D images, it cuts the images into left and right halves in the middle. What bugs me about using VLC player at that time is that when I am playing the movie in full screen, the controls/interface is also split into two halves and projected to the opposite two corners of the screen bottom on two different eyes. :( (Get what I meant? Sorry, my English is not that good. )

So, what I am suggesting is that there should be options for us to choose whether to display the full screen controls according to different formats we specify (side-by-side, top-and-bottom, etc) . Let's say I pick side-by-side, the normal full screen control should be duplicated into two copies, but squashed to half-width and positioned on the left and right halves of screen. When this is done correctly, even the TV is working in side-by-side mode, the two copies of the full screen control would be merged into position and works like it normally does for 2D movies.

I am really looking forward to this feature, since I believe this feature is not difficult to implement programming-wise but yet its use is sound and practical and it's really making a big difference for 3D media playing. So, I don't see why not deliver as soon as the development allows. :D

sccy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Full screen control for 3D display

Postby sccy » 30 Oct 2012 08:35

No replies? Are you people not interested, or is this feature not worth implementing?

C'mon, I mean, even if this is a dumb feature to you people, I would still like to hear people's views on this.

I just thought 3D movies are so popular now. Side-by-side and top-and-bottom formats are nowadays so common in broadcasters, 3D TVs and media players (software and hardware), not to mention the infrastructure of filmmakers. 3D support, to my believe, is pretty much something to be done soon or later in the development.

Since my above suggestion for the full screen interface needs minimum effort to implement, it can make a good start for future 3D support, I believe.

sccy
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Full screen control for 3D display

Postby sccy » 30 Oct 2012 09:40

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”