Volume - Reset to 100% ?

Feature requests for VLC.
Seanaphy
New Cone
New Cone

Volume - Reset to 100% ?

Postby Seanaphy » 21 Mar 2012 01:14

As far as I can see there is no reset volume to the default option?

It would be nice if a simple Ctrl + Click the volume control resets it to 100% (like various audio software/VSTs, etc), and possibly a "Reset Volume" context menu item added to Right-Click > Audio >.

PS: Version 2 rocks! :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Volume - Reset to 100% ?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Mar 2012 11:04

You can force it to preferences. But Ctrl+click might be clever.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Seanaphy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Seanaphy » 26 Mar 2012 15:44

Ctrl+Click....haha the invisible helper :)

Are you talking about the "Always reset audio start to: 100%"? I've used that in the past. But when I'm looking at lectures, etc it sometimes gets hard to hear some segments...so I manually increase it...with no way of uber-quickly getting back to 100%.

A button to Normalize the audio on the fly would be great too (without having to go into the prefs for some videos, etc)...or at least available for hotkeying?

appyface
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby appyface » 26 Apr 2012 11:35

+1 for a quick reset to 100%

And/or, double-click/ctrl-click/right double-click/something and type in the % volume.

And/or, 'nudge' volume hotkeys that increment 1% at a time -- 'nudge' quickly to the target volume after getting fairly close with current hotkey increments and/or mouse-click.

Just some ideas for managing the volume. Thank you for your consideration.

Kind regards,
--appyface

Gudtym
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gudtym » 17 May 2012 09:47

Another vote for a way of quickly resetting the volume to 100%, without having to quit the app and re-launch.

In this regard, I notice that Command-Up Arrow and Command-Down Arrow adjust the volume, whilst Option-Command-Down Arrow mutes. Can I therefore suggest Option-Command-Up Arrow as the keyboard shortcut for "Reset volume to 100%"?

Cheers :)

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 17 May 2012 15:43

At least you can use following extension script until there is a better way to reset volume in VLC:
VLC Extension: Volume Reset

daneeeh
New Cone
New Cone

Postby daneeeh » 16 Sep 2012 23:53

+1 for this feature request.
This issue I suffer it much more on mac rather than on windows, I use both OS'es. In windows at least you can know when the audio is %100 because there's a label on the bar, however, in mac you can't tell. I don't like this specially when I believe audio is 100% but actually it's 110% or a small number where you can't tell the difference, this is not the desired effect as the playback isn't transparent to the real volume.
please please please, make a better indicator for audio level or even better, a hotkey to set it back to 100%.
VLC you are the best cross-plattform app!

keihin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby keihin » 23 Oct 2012 00:11

+1 - A simple means of returning to 100% volume is needed.

Method could take a number of forms and still be effective. At the very least, an indicator is needed on the slider. Better than that would be some amount of "snap to guide" behavior when volume slider is clicked within a few percent of the 100% indicator. Best of all would be something like a ctrl-click shortcut that would cause a snap to 100%, with the same action as "snap to max volume" that is triggered when the rightmost speaker icon is clicked.

mageye
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mageye » 04 Nov 2012 18:37

Yes this issue has been so so so neglected. VLC is an excellent media player in so many ways and yet something like this can really become an achilles heel.

I hate distortion but like to actually be able to hear things too. There is a vast array of recorded material and not all of it is recorded at maximised levels. So being able to push the level beyond the 100% is a pretty useful feature. However it is useful to know where the 100% mark is and yes a notch at that point (where it 'sticks' or magnetises) would be so so so so so so useful here.

When I am playing music (which generally is recorded and mastered at 'optimum' levels) I like to know that the digital signal is not being amplified beyond the point it was intended to be before the D to A conversion stage.

As mentioned, not all sound is recorded at optimum levels so being able to 'push it further' (when needed) is almost an essential feature of a modern media player. It actually makes me sad that this feature has been neglected for so long. I feel like organising a campaign group but I can't be bothered. Anyway its cold outside at this time of the year in the UK but next summer maybe (weather permitting of course).

I'm gonna cry :cry:

roflkartoffl
New Cone
New Cone

Postby roflkartoffl » 22 Jun 2018 20:20

Just run vlc.exe with parameter '--volume 100' ONCE.
Volume is then back to 100 again.

Cheers...

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”