Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy to a

Feature requests for VLC.
vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy to a

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Oct 2007 03:25

Hi,

I think all of you knwo this, on media player classic I am able to pause/play a video and audio by not only just the main interface controls but also I can do this simply by placing the cursor anywhere on the video view screen and clicking it.

I would really like to see this feature in VLC next version as I really like it (very good for full screen mode). Is the feature already in vlc or can it be written into next version.

here is what i mean - http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/e7d8da1e72.png

please comment
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy to a

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Oct 2007 03:58

you can pause with the keyboard in Vlc, but not clicking on the video.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Oct 2007 04:30

J-B, Hi,

I know of hotkeys shortcuts already but I still would like to see this feature. When I am in fullscreen in VLC and I move cursor to bottom of page there is no VLC player bottom pop-up like in other media players so the clickable screen which MPC seems to nicely have would be of great convenience :)

(don't want to make use the hotkeys as I want to keep full playback contol with my mouse)

please respond further
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Oct 2007 04:37

yes, you got the right click menu (improved in next version) and the mouse gestures.
The fullscreen controller is another problem.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 10 Oct 2007 21:25

Middle-mouse button to pause. :?: :?: :?:

I think it's a good idea to use the mouse for controlling the basic functions of video playback. :)

MetalheadGautham
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9 series
Operating System: ArchLinux i686

Postby MetalheadGautham » 11 Oct 2007 01:05

I think it's a good idea to use the mouse for controlling the basic functions of video playback. :)
and left click drag the mouse right or left for forward and reverse
Visit: VLC and Other alternatives to Popular Media Players
On Linux, blindly use VLC, SMPlayer, Kaffeine, GXine, Totem and MPlayer
PM requests to attend to problems will not be entertained
Please post your question in the RIGHT forum.
SEARCH before posting to see if your question's been already answered

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Oct 2007 09:00

and left click drag the mouse right or left for forward and reverse
This already exists, just use the mouse gestures.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

serhiol
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Click screen pause/paly like media player classic (easy

Postby serhiol » 04 Jul 2010 00:43

Shame on VLC. I can't stop playing with mouse click... What if I have a long cable on the mouse and not on the keyboard?

With any other player (BS, Classic) I can do this, but not with VLC. Oh la la. Quel bordel.

I am sitting on the bed, so, I need left click and pause this is not convenient at all. What a easy functionality and not implemented. :evil:

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 04 Jul 2010 15:27

Mouse clicks are reserved for menu navigation and for video filters.

raschmid
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raschmid » 31 Jul 2010 16:26

x-mouse button control is a free application with which you can configure any app to have emulated commands instead of the normal click. I use now my middle click as pause for vlc... AWESOME... ENJOY.. AND YES ITS A SHAME THAT A WONDERFUL APP LIKE VLC DOES NOT SUPPORT IT NATIVELY.

raschmid
New Cone
New Cone

Postby raschmid » 31 Jul 2010 16:26

BY THE WAY MY MOUSE IS A 3 BUTTON MOUSE AND IT STILL WORKS... CONTRARY TO THE APP REQUIREMENTS.

Darth Continent
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Darth Continent » 21 Dec 2010 21:03

I'd like at least the option to enable or disable pause by clicking the screen.

I realize I can pause playback with the spacebar, for example, but Media Player Classic will let me click to pause immediately even if it doesn't have focus, which is handy for stopping playback while I'm in the middle of several different tasks.

I'd love this same functionality in VLC. :?

hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hobi » 20 Feb 2011 14:12

I'd like at least the option to enable or disable pause by clicking the screen.

I realize I can pause playback with the spacebar, for example, but Media Player Classic will let me click to pause immediately even if it doesn't have focus, which is handy for stopping playback while I'm in the middle of several different tasks.

I'd love this same functionality in VLC. :?
Yes, i like to get that too
I always use mouse click to pause movie, so its sad that still vlc wont support that

thexray
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thexray » 22 Jun 2011 09:47

This is the main reason that VLC is not my primary video player. That and the fact that playback track bar doesn't get maximized to the screen width in the full screen mode.

hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hobi » 27 Jun 2011 15:51

This is the main reason that VLC is not my primary video player.
Maybe that function is too hard to add, but still there are hope to get it on future update.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Jun 2011 16:34

It isn't hard to add. It just would break some filters etc. since mouse clicks are reserved for certain things.

aslamahmed
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aslamahmed » 18 Sep 2011 05:53

This is the main reason that VLC is not my primary video player. That and the fact that playback track bar doesn't get maximized to the screen width in the full screen mode.

its the same here :(

ellockie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ellockie » 11 Nov 2011 13:50

it is frustrating for me too. like probably everyone I'm used to youtube functionality where I simply click on the video to pause it, without an effort of targetting a very little area where the play button is.

and the track bar - I want less seconds per it's pixel if you know what I mean. therefore I customised the full screen control UI and added multiple volume / time control elements to make it longer, but it is a bit ridiculous :/

I feel these features are important for good user experience

PS.
One-click button to play DVD would be nice too

LongTimeVLCuser
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LongTimeVLCuser » 16 Nov 2011 12:53

Same here.

Actually, at first I did not bother to comment since the general tone was that of rejection due to unwillingness to take the time and understand the user's specific problem (quite common for brilliant engineers with less brilliant user interaction skills). :wink: But hey, since there was a recent "me too" comment, I thought I would chip in and say "me too", too.

I have a very specific hardware setup which I do not want to alter for the sake of my video player. I have used VLC for a long time to my full satisfaction, except this little feature request (and a second one regarding possibilities for dual screens, but I did find a work around of sorts and maybe my wishes were too specific to trigger development). Anyway, some weeks ago I have after a long time re-discovered Media Player Classic and realise that this little gem now can do 99.9% of everything I would like my video player to do. This, and the developer's response demonstrated above, finally made me switch to MPC as default and VLC as seldom used backup. I have to say... it works and I have never looked back.

I still use VLC on my laptop, but for my home entertainment PC it is MPC now. Thought I'd let you know, just to add credibility to the feature request above.

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: linux

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 16 Nov 2011 13:02

Actually, at first I did not bother to comment since the general tone was that of rejection due to unwillingness to take the time and understand the user's specific problem (quite common for brilliant engineers with less brilliant user interaction skills).
What about users unable to read devs answer ?

Yourself Himself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Yourself Himself » 06 Dec 2011 00:09

What about users unable to read devs answer ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is an open thread in the feature requests forum, is it not? Most developers, whether their software is monetized or free, are interested in making a popular product used by as many people as possible. You would think they would be interested to know when a large quantity of people are citing (the lack of) a single feature as their reason for switching to a competing product.

I would add that I'm someone who attempted to switch to VLC recently because the install was easier than MPC, but have switched back because of the frustration with the lack of this most basic feature and the dev attitude that because they don't feel like adding it, they don't care that users want it.

AnotherLife
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AnotherLife » 22 Jan 2012 13:41

Bump !

When will we have this functionality ? Also, can you put an advanced option to enable mouse play/pause even if it breaks some filters ? Or can someone put out an unofficial experimental build of VLC that can do this ? :geek:

RoccoRolo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RoccoRolo » 31 Jan 2012 00:53

Bump, bump, bumpity-bump / bumpty-bumpty bumpity-bump....

I, too, think a simple left-click anywhere on-screen to pause/resume is an absolutely essential feature, and the absence of the feature is the reason why Media Player Classic remains my number 1 video-playback app, being used for probably more than 95 percent of files, where VLC is only used as a rare alternative that uses a different output than the renderer I set for MPC -- so I don't have to mess with changing the output renderer in my primary player for those occasional files that are too demanding for my user settings. I just open it in the VLC player.

I also use VLC on the rare occasions when I want to rotate a video during playback.

And VLC has some fantastic features that set it apart -- such as easy brightness and contrast controls that "stick" even when playing WMV files, and the aforementioned ability to rotate videos during playback. But the lack of a left-click-anywhere pause function is just too counter-intuitive. I got used to having it, and I cannot go back to more cumbersome schemes.

In short, if they ever add the screen-pause/play, VLC becomes my primary player. Until then, it is rarely used.

marrt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby marrt » 20 Feb 2012 18:32

Sorry Devs, but I too would like this feature.

ZILZAL
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ZILZAL » 06 Mar 2012 06:09

please VLC devs .. its just a simple feature why dont you add it .. its really annoying when you click on the video screen but nothing happens .. most of the top other players including YOUTUBE player have this procedure ..
so i join the list of people who wants this feature .

Regards

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”