VLC on HP TouchPad

Feature requests for VLC.
breault.jean
New Cone
New Cone

VLC on HP TouchPad

Postby breault.jean » 03 Aug 2011 23:34

It would be very nice to port the VLC for IOS on the new HP TouchPad.

I'm probably not the first one to ask, but I know HP has some Give Aways for devellopers teams like yours.

Cheers,

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC on HP TouchPad

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Aug 2011 12:30

WebOS port is a bit complex, but we lack of time.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

xd1936
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xd1936 » 23 Aug 2011 22:38

How complex is it? The WebOS PDK is designed specifically to port iOS applications very easily! The Touchpad just received hundreds of thousands of new users this last weekend, and the built-in media player isn't great. Even at $1.99, I'm positive you'd see a great return for your time, even for a simple port.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Aug 2011 23:22

Lol. Invest time on a dead platform?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Aug 2011 17:36

Install Android to it, that way you can use VLC.

zappcatt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zappcatt » 27 Aug 2011 23:52

Lol. Invest time on a dead platform?
You mean like OS/2?

I would imagine that webOS/Touchpad has more users than OS/2, QNX and Solaris combined..the only decent Movie player on it right now sells for $9.99. I imagine that if it were able to get up and running relatively soon, it could clean up.

No, I am not a developer or else I would offer to try myself. I am just a longtime VLC user(mac and windows) who would love to have a version on the HP Touchpad.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Aug 2011 02:53

POrts on mobile platform takes a long time. We've done something on the pre, but it isn't ready and I don't see anyone working on it...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Grimdot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Grimdot » 28 Aug 2011 06:20

I registered just to say how much I would love to see this happen.
The TouchPad has one "OK" media player right now and it costs $7.
People are interested in it, lots of people for that matter, this thread alone has gotten over 1500 views.
The TouchPad sold over 300,000 units this past week, think about how many of them want a great media player.
You would get a lot more people using it, and hell I would easily pay $7 or more for it.
And considering it would be the better of the 2 players, people would of course buy yours.

Been using VLC for awhile now and I can definitely say it is by far the best free player I have ever used.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Aug 2011 09:02

ruben00
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ruben00 » 29 Aug 2011 16:49

It seems the TouchPad is about to die because of HP dropping WebOS:
With all due respect @Lotesdelere I believe your above statement is wrong. HP is killing the Touchpad (Hardware) however the WebOS (Software) will live on, since that is HP's new focus

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/18/hp-w ... s-devices/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/23 ... _dead_yet/

WebOS to me is a very capable OS and the fact that anyone on any platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) can develop for it, makes it even better, I just wish more mfg's would make hardware for it

heavyt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby heavyt » 31 Aug 2011 01:18

VLC ported to webOS would be a great addition for the Touchpad. As of now the touchpad is in need of an media app that works with different files. Please help us make this device an option other than android or iPad, thank you.

migube
New Cone
New Cone

Postby migube » 01 Sep 2011 23:12

I think VLC would be the only option to stream from Dreambox e.g...
Please :)

ruben00
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ruben00 » 02 Sep 2011 00:32

someone made a program for WebOS called "touchplayer" by converting ffmpeg and a basic front end
the ffmpeg is actually a clone of VLC's own "VLC for WebOS" repo

if the devs at VLC would look at his git repo and maybe help put him in the right path or collaborate with him I bet with a little bit of work we can have VLC working in no time

https://github.com/error454/TouchPlayer

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 05 Sep 2011 14:25

I don't get it?
HP has done a 360 on these tablets making even more, they may continue with them
reports say over 900,000 already sold now since launch
we ask for some help with a gnu lic program like VLC and the best you can say is forget you?
WoW I used to love VLC?

Thanks for caring?

I'm surprised you didn't post get an Ipad! Since when do these attitudes become us?

very very disappointed.

howdr
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby howdr » 05 Sep 2011 14:32

Nope webOS and even the TP probably will not be dropped HP's CEO might be.

It was a mistake, the CEO thought no one wanted the tablet so he dropped the price to where they could clear it out in 90 days
instead they sold over half a million in 2 days and then the entire world retail inventory inside 2 weeks

this is now a frenzy and people like and want a low cost tablet. Once patched and updated for the most part it stands up to iPad

it still needs more work but so does galaxytab and iPad this costs 4 to 5 x less.

Oh I typed this on my new Touchpad it works pretty well

ctbear
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ctbear » 11 Sep 2011 10:11

I also registered to say that I've been using VLC player on all my media files for as long as I can remember. It has been the ultimate and go to media player. Now, I only hope that there will be a port to the Touchpad, which will enable me to watch all my videos without conversion on the Touchpad simply via drag-n-drop. I am absolutely willing to pay/donate more for this app to be ported to WebOS on the Touchpad (or at the very least finish the Android port so that when I dual boot android on the TP I'll also be able to install VLC as the first thing I'll do). THANKS DEVS!

SmilingInSeattle
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SmilingInSeattle » 18 Sep 2011 02:31

I bought a Touchpad at the "firesale" because I wanted the hardware, but I found (as a Linux user) I also like the WebOS UI. But, to be honest with you, the long battery life and a few apps that I have on my smartphone are all I am expecting from it. If WebOS dies, then I hope to run a port of Linux on it.

I've been using the VLC player for Linux and Windows since the turn of the century. I've fiddled with other media players, free and for $$$. VLC fits my needs thwith a larger display weree best. I watch a lot of subtitled dramas, and VLC handles the separate suinbtitle files and rip video codecs the best.

If someone ports a Debian version of Linux to the Touchpad that replaces WebOS completely, then I'll excitedly run a linux version o functionsf VLC player as a native application, On the other hand, I think a VLC player port to WebOS (that includes soft subtilte support) would be awesome. No one has mentioned soft subtitle support in this thread until now. I want the functions VLC development team to know how important this feature is to some of us - in particular the Korean drama fanatics (Hallyu) that are out here. For the uninitiated, Korean dramas generally run for 16 to 200 one hour episodes. The community has made Terrabytes of 700MB episode files available on line for free, generally packaged in the AVI container. A considerable community provides English, Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish, Arabic, Polish, Portuguese, Dutch, Malay, German, Tagalog, Italian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Czech, Romanian,Indonesian, Russian, Finnish, Turkish, Persian, and Greek subtitles as softsubs (primarily .srt) format, although I've viewed .sub and .ssa formats with VLC player to my utter pleasure. No other video player has been so consistantly capable of suporting so many formats.

Thank you so much for what you've provided to date, and please continue to provide such wonderful support.

migube
New Cone
New Cone

Postby migube » 19 Sep 2011 15:32

what we also miss is the ability to stream from the network.
There is just no app for it.

So no Dreambox streaming or other :(

tx to revive the project :)

ccx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ccx » 21 Sep 2011 07:02

i registered to add my opinion to the matter.

currently there are 800,000 touchpads sold. there is a shipment of about 200,000+ more on the way (mostly already spoken for)
as it stands now, touchpad market share is close to 5%. apple has something ungodly like 65%

the hardware division is dead. the software division is still being kept around.

i think VLC developers are seeing this the wrong way. there is no real, good, quality player for touchpad. this would be a perfect opportunity to capture that market.
anyway, if the devs here are 'too busy' to even try looking into the possibility, i'm sure there are some on the WebOs forum that would gladly port it over.

t_P
New Cone
New Cone

Postby t_P » 23 Sep 2011 08:48

I have just registered for adding my opinion, too. I fully agree with ccx's statement. I'm quite sure touchpad owners are willing to spend up to €5 for a VLC application. If only 1% of the touchpad owners bought a ported player this would be 8,000 x €5 = €40,000 for videolan - not bad, I think ;) - well, ok, you have to subtract hp's share for selling in the app store

So, ++ for a port.

napamack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby napamack » 21 Dec 2011 18:30

Since HP has turned over WebOS to open source maybe we can get VLC for the Touchpad now

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 27 Dec 2011 22:23

here the link for the webos source code http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html

ccx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ccx » 14 Feb 2012 02:49

god i hope so

Sam Hobbs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: Latest
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Sam Hobbs » 19 Feb 2012 13:40

There are very many WebOS users that are very alive. I don't know what the definition is of a dead OS but the most important criteria is the number of current users.

It is easy to say to switch from WebOS to Android for Touchpads but Android is still in the future; it is alpha but not yet beta even.

If there is insufficient resources to do that port, then that is the way it is; there is no need to get emotional and say that WebOS is dead. There are plenty of users that are still alive using it every day.

gb115b
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gb115b » 12 Apr 2012 17:28

maybe a kickstarter project would be good for stuff like this...

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”