If they won't I will, NSV is now Open Source!

Feature requests for VLC.

Should VLC support NSV streaming and viewing?

Waste of time
20%
Maybe
No votes
Who cares (neutral)
No votes
Make a better case (ouch)
No votes
You have my attention
10%
WE MUST DO IT!!!
70%

Total votes: 10

infinitelink
New Cone
New Cone

If they won't I will, NSV is now Open Source!

Postby infinitelink » 08 Jul 2005 22:44

"The NullSoft Video format and AOL Ultravox protocol are now Open Source"
-http://www.scvi.net/

NSV format can contain just about any format of music and video, it's excellent, is made and streamed with all free tools etc. etc.. Ever seen an NSV embedded object in a webpage? It's an incredible awesome tool and works terrifically. These are the technologies that power Winamp's shoutcast television and music streaming capabilities and even when they weren't open source you could use them to stream to or not to Winamp (or both). Now the technologies are open source, and all the tools are still, of course, freely available. I can't believe AOL just did this, but they let go and now I say we implement these features (streaming and being able to watch through) in VLC! I've even made nsv streams before with NSVTools (a Gui'd version) and a video just to test it and knowing almost nothing about it I was able to tweak and adjust to my heart's desire and the quality was excellent. It's definately worthy of VLC and now it's possible to do it! Keep in mind, that NSV is probablly close to one of the most widely used hobbyist/serious streaming formats for video too, it really is very excellent. Though MS is dominant in most areas, NSV does whoop MS's streaming in ease of use and quality any day, any time. What does everyone else think? :D Off to get other open source media players interested in incorporating this into their technologies now!

touqueguy

Postby touqueguy » 10 Aug 2005 01:55

I'd really like to see this supported in VLC.

Are there any versions of VLC that support NSV video? Cause all I'm getting is audio.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 10 Aug 2005 02:17

VLC already supports NSV
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Argent

Postby Argent » 11 Aug 2005 19:29

Doesn't work with this stream: http://broadcast.giga.de/listen.pls

Argent