Dual subtitles?

Feature requests for VLC.
rooley
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Dual subtitles?

Postby rooley » 02 Jan 2011 21:24

Now that we've rung in the new year I'm wondering if any developers have some updates or input on the matter. Many users would still really love this!

totsubo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby totsubo » 24 Jan 2011 11:10

Now that we've rung in the new year I'm wondering if any developers have some updates or input on the matter. Many users would still really love this!
I'm not a developer but this feature is in the issue/feature tracker here:

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/824

The original request was raised more than 4 years ago and the priority is set to low. So I wouldn't hold my breath ...

INSA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby INSA » 25 Jan 2011 11:53

I wonder why you're not listed here: http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/824 ?
Done.
Will your work be incorporated to the upstream VLC version or used as an extension?
It will be used as an extension first in order to allow every developer to modify it easily without being a "C-language master" :)
Our source control repository will be posted here as soon as possible. It's the possibility for you to post your comments or ideas.

rooley
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rooley » 25 Jan 2011 20:08

Thank you INSA (and whomever else is responsible) for starting this!

pedor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pedor » 04 Apr 2011 16:45

It this feature implemented yet? when?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Apr 2011 13:18

It this feature implemented yet? when?
No. AFAIK nobody is working with this (= I haven't seen any discussion in mailing list).

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 08 Apr 2011 20:02

MiniLyrics
Please read more here: Re: Subtitle controls suck...

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 09 Apr 2011 11:38

About 9 years ago probably the best solution (for me) to play movies with subtitles was mv2player. It plays 2 different subtitles in a movie. Just open the player, use drag-and-drop to open movie, then drag-and-drop again to add 2 different subtitle files. Position them directly on a screen easily with the mouse. And this was already long time ago before VLC era :)
I am able to play 3 different subtitles in a movie: 2 of them handles mv2player (tried version 06.010), another 1 plays ffdshow video decoder system filter that actually decodes (plays) the movie in the player.
If you want to try this player, just find it using Google and download it from different location than the official one as the download location does not work there.

fargo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fargo » 14 Apr 2011 11:09

Hi,
have been using vlc over the last few years ( either on windows & linux ) and have been very content with it! Anyways, my current girlfriend is from China, so we have to use subtitles if we view german or english movies (or chinese movies :roll: ). But a big problem is when we want to watch korean, french or any other movies because one of us wont understand anything! Plz help vlc delevopers!! Think of the joy you bring to all mixed couples all over the world and bring dual subtitles to vlc! :wink: :D

Armando
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Armando » 20 Apr 2011 23:08

Until VLC doesn't implement this, the easiest solution for non-DVD (text based) subtitles is 2srt2ass + MPC (or MPCHC). 2srt2ass can be found at http://pas-bien.net/2srt2ass/ and merge two .srt file into a single dotass file with two sub tracks. No codec pack needed, no exotic player needed, only Media Player Classic. MPC allow to resize or move the subs so I'm very satisfied with this workaround but I hope to have this directly in VLC in a near future.

deafmax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deafmax » 28 Oct 2011 11:39

Hello!

like made refreshs this idea for support multiple Subtitles. i am only customer:

i LIKE use ONLY vlc with subtitles (on windows) when i am alone.

But sometimes i look movies with my girl friend, we use other languages (Example Anime in japanse spoken language).
When we have *.srt-Subtitles, we use KMPlayer for two subtitles. She down, i up.
(source: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/200 ... -computer/ )

When we look DVD, vlc and KMPlayer too dont support two subtitles same time as DVD-Subtitle. There we use Cyberlink Power DVD 10 for look movies with two DVD-subtitles same time.

VLC dont support both this possibilities and i think vlc is good in scene when it have this solution =)
i hope it find anyone to made it.

cheers deafmax
(sorry, english isn't my language =)

PS. funny solution with 2srt2ass *thumbup* ;)

t0x1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby t0x1 » 06 May 2012 12:41

Hi,

I've been using http://www.srtmerger.org/en/

It merges 2 subtitle files into one.

It has nice encoding support for both input and output files, but it only works with SRT format files, and, unline ass format, you can't choose the subtitle position.

calin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby calin » 15 Mar 2013 19:39

you can use "subtitler (lite)" wich is a VLC extension to display 2 subtittles simultaneously, one down and second up.
http://addons.videolan.org/content/show ... ent=152364

Tips to load subtitle in VLC with subtitler:
- Your subtitle should get same video's name
- subtitle codification should be UTF-8 not UNICODE, UCS-2 Little Indian, etc.

iamtodor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby iamtodor » 29 Jan 2019 11:19

Any plans to implement this feature? I would donate you for 10$ for an opportunity to turn on 2 different subtitles :)

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”