show subtitle language

Feature requests for VLC.
sheepdog
New Cone
New Cone

show subtitle language

Postby sheepdog » 10 Oct 2010 20:23

I convert DVD to avi-files and extract the subtitles to *.srt files. That works fine, but when I play the video and go to the subtitle menu to switch to a certain languge I have to select from:

Title 1
Title 2
Title 3

I usually name the subtitle files like the avi and add the language e.g.:

MyVideo.avi
MyVideo en.srt
MyVideo de.srt
MyVideo fr.srt

VLC loads all those subtitle files automatically, and so does my standalone DVD-Player. But the DVD-Player displays the language guessing from the 'country code'. i.e. en is displayed as english, de is german (deutsch) and fr is french.

It would be nice if VLC would do the same. Or even more nice if VLC would look into the file, because usually the language is noticed in brackets at the end of the file like [ENGLISH SDH].

regards

Stefan

TheFalcon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: show subtitle language

Postby TheFalcon » 18 Oct 2010 16:02

I convert DVD to avi-files and extract the subtitles to *.srt files. That works fine, but when I play the video and go to the subtitle menu to switch to a certain languge I have to select from:

Title 1
Title 2
Title 3

I usually name the subtitle files like the avi and add the language e.g.:

MyVideo.avi
MyVideo en.srt
MyVideo de.srt
MyVideo fr.srt

VLC loads all those subtitle files automatically, and so does my standalone DVD-Player. But the DVD-Player displays the language guessing from the 'country code'. i.e. en is displayed as english, de is german (deutsch) and fr is french.
I'm also in for this request.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”