Automatic settings for playback.

Feature requests for VLC.
exponent
New Cone
New Cone

Automatic settings for playback.

Postby exponent » 21 Jul 2010 08:27

I would like to start by saying that VLC is tremendously good at decoding a wide variety of audio and video formats. I have been through a lot of SW, HW, techniques and pain in trying to complet my HTPC project. I have been working on it for a few years now and have gotten a long ways. I have online

28000 flac files
A collection of various hi resolution and multichannel audio
2 TB of movies
20,000 digital pictures
TV gateway
DVB gateway
and many other items

The HW platform is now robust and fault tolerant. In the end I want one TV, the sound system, and the HPTC for all sources. It does about 75% of what I want and VLC is a major piece. I have pretty good knowledge of VLC (I think) but my GF and my son dont. To explain my feature request I'll give an example.

I have a DVD video collection from Queen with DTS audio. I have ripped it to my online storage. To play it back one needs to do the following.

1. Start VLC
2. Select disc and go to the directory just above the Audio_TS and Video_TS files.
3. Press play
4. Go to Audio-AUdio Track and select track 2
5. Go to Audio - Audio Device and select "A/52 over S/PDIF"
6. Switch to full screen.

BY doing this one gets the video in fullscreen mode with DTS sound. It's simple enough for me but not for my other household members. Setting up some material for playback is too complex for the technically disinclined.

FEATURE REQUEST - be able to save the VLC "default" settings for a specific library item and on playback they get applied.

If I could do this it would get me a lot of WAF and free up some more $$$. REgardless of whether or not this gets done I will be making a donation.

Keep up the good work.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Automatic settings for playback.

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Jul 2010 12:07

1/ You can play directly by opening the VIDEO_TS folder directly with open folder
2/ You should be able to force A/52 over SPDIF in preferences
3/ You can force fullscreen too in preferences.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

exponent
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Automatic settings for playback.

Postby exponent » 22 Jul 2010 07:37

That was just one example. The problem is that the rest of my household doesn't know which settings to apply to which files. I would like to be able to save the preferences for for an object and when the user plays that material back they get the preferences for that object.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”