LFE -> front channels

Feature requests for VLC.
trcolka
New Cone
New Cone

LFE -> front channels

Postby trcolka » 15 Feb 2005 10:02

Hi,

an option which mixes the .1 LFE channel into the two front channels when listening to 5.1 sound on 5 speakers (no subwoofers) would be very nice to have.

Regards
Olaf

Bendit
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bendit » 28 Mar 2005 18:21

Does anybody know what the current VLC version does with LFE when in analog 4 speaker mode? (without a subwoofer)

I have been running 4 speaker mode and have NOT noticed lack of bass. Is it possible that the current version already downmixes the low freqs into all speakers????

cheers.
-=Plus vite, ça n'aurait pas été raisonnable!=-

peter

Re: LFE -> front channels

Postby peter » 02 Jun 2005 15:28

Hi,

an option which mixes the .1 LFE channel into the two front channels when listening to 5.1 sound on 5 speakers (no subwoofers) would be very nice to have.

Regards
Olaf
I am new to vlc. I use 4 floorstanders wothout a sub and would love to be able to mix the lfe over all 4 channels not only the fronts. This works really well in zoomplayer with ac3filter and being able doing the same with vlc would be great as it plays some hd ts files I cant get to work with zp very well.

peter

McBrown

Postby McBrown » 19 Apr 2006 22:35

Hi,

Regards
Olaf
I'm using VLC on a Mac with a Terratec Phase 26 USB sound card. For DVD viewing this soundcard can only be connected to my amplifier over the 6-channel analog connection (ac3 passthrough over sp/dif is not supported by the soundcards firmware).
As I don't own a subwoofer, but a rather good 5 channel speaker setup with two large front speakers and small center/surround speakers, an option in VLC to mix the LFE-channel to the two front channels would definitely be a huge improvement for me.

Or even better: it would be great beeing able to mix arbitrary output channels to specific speakers. Another requirement would be to have the same output channel added to different speakers. Is there any chance this may get implemented?

Regards,
McBrown

pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pieroxy » 20 Apr 2006 21:08

I have been running 4 speaker mode and have NOT noticed lack of bass.
This does not mean that the LFE channel is mixed with others. It just means that you are listening to something where the LFE channel carries little if any signal.

You see, the LFE channel does not carry all bass frequencies. Bass frequencies are carried by their respective channels. Just effects are carried through LFE (LFE=Low Frequencies Effects). Often, the LFE is just empty.

Dahlen

Postby Dahlen » 27 Apr 2006 09:37

Due to my audio speaker system I also miss the option to add the LFE Signal to the 2 front speakers.

That would be very nice =)

Regards
Dahlen

spunkrat

simulated 5.1

Postby spunkrat » 08 Jun 2006 00:46

I would also very much like to see this feature. Vlc works and sounds great for 6 channel files, but when I play 4 or 2 channel files I essentialy loose all bass and the center channel (also the rear channels if 2 channel file). Thanks and best regards.

LeChuck
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LeChuck » 04 Jan 2008 02:16

For me, it's the only option that's missing and would really love to have this, but seeing how old this thread is, we can't really hope much, can we? I'd pay for the option!

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 07 Jan 2008 06:54

Yeah I know what you mean. I remeber when I was using PowerDVD and it had this option but is has been awhile so I don't thinks of using it anymore. Why is that CloudStalker? :?

Second(ed)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Jan 2008 21:44

Ok, we need someone to code the audio filter.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 08 Jan 2008 22:12

Does the Audio Device "2 Front 2 Rear" not effectively do the same thing (minus the center), or does that just drop the center and LFE channels?

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 11 Jan 2008 18:58

Not quite. I think that the "2 Front 2 Rear" option only spits a stereo signal 4 ways whereas LFE (Low-Frequency Effect) will take the subwoofer signal and mix it with the 2 front channels (not recommended for small speaker though).

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 13 Jan 2008 21:53

I tried the "2 Front 2 Rear" on a 5.1 sample and it outputted the SL, FL, FR and SR channels in the correct speakers, however didn't output the LFE (or at least from what I could tell). Perhaps it uses the "trvial.c" mixer plugin which just drops the unwanted channels.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Bendit
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Bendit » 23 Sep 2008 21:37

This post is 3 years in the making? Wow.

So what's the verdict? LFE goes where at this point?????

Anybody know? Thanks!
-=Plus vite, ça n'aurait pas été raisonnable!=-

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Sep 2008 12:09

AFAIK the issue hasn't changed. Currently there isn't any downmix/upmix matrix available that users could configure.

trcolka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby trcolka » 09 Feb 2010 15:23

Almost 5 years since my original post, still hoping for the implementation :wink:

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2010 14:42

Code it ! :D

Did you try 1.1 ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

meocene
New Cone
New Cone

6chs to L,C,R,LFE

Postby meocene » 28 Apr 2010 07:38

hate to drag up a very old thread but it would be awesome to have some kind of custom matrice options
with xp/vista i used WMP + ffdshow, which seams (at least to me) to make WMP as flexible as vlc, and in some ways even more so
ffdshow's great but unfortunately it doesn't work so well under Win7
one thing i loved about ffdshow was custom audio matrices (think that's what they're called) which let me downmix 6ch's to 4 (L,C,R,LFE), which sounds so much fuller than plain ol' stereo
*finger's crossed*

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: 6chs to L,C,R,LFE

Postby Lotesdelere » 28 Apr 2010 12:59

it would be awesome to have some kind of custom matrice options
Indeed.
+1

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 01 May 2010 04:55

this is the only think witch is keeping me from using vlc over boxee as my main media player

vbElefant
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vbElefant » 01 May 2010 18:11

Have you tried to enable downmixing in your sound driver? I tell my VLC to make an 5.1 output and the Realtek software does the downmixing to my 4.0 quadrophonic setup quite fine, as it should be. Surely, such a feature in VLC would be useful but in my opinion not the "proper" way as this downmixing would be only for one application and not the hole system.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”