Histogram/Spectrum Analysis

Feature requests for VLC.
analog
New Cone
New Cone

Histogram/Spectrum Analysis

Postby analog » 06 Apr 2010 22:51

This is my first post here. So here's a little background about me: I've been using VLC over five years now on multiple platforms and architectures. I'm highly interested in software development and engineering. I'm currently doing a Master Electronics and IT engineering course.

I was thinking it could be handy to show a histogram of the current image frame (so it's live when you play a movie) in the Video Effects (not sure, I translated from my dutch VLC). The same goes for a spectrum analysis for audio (Audio Effects). I think it would be pretty handy to be able to view your adjustments live in a histogram or spectrum analysis for image/sound. I'am aware both require quite some computing power: a histogram requires height*width*depth*intensity bit size sums (this can be optimized of course, HD example: 1 920 * 1 080 * 3 * 8 = 49 766 400) and a spectrum analysis requires mainly a fourier transformation over n samples. Sample size relates directly to computing requirements afaik.

Could we maybe abuse GIMP's libraries in order to implement this? How are the current Video and Audio equilizer options implemented? This would open possibilities to implement auto AV correction which would be a first in media player land afaik.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Histogram/Spectrum Analysis

Postby VLC_help » 07 Apr 2010 16:12

Could we maybe abuse GIMP's libraries in order to implement this?
Yep.
How are the current Video and Audio equilizer options implemented?
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... qualizer.c for audio filter
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=bl ... r/adjust.c for video filter

analog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby analog » 08 Apr 2010 04:19

Hi,
I have no experience in SVN/Git whatever it is you guys are using based software developement. I see VLC is programmed in C++ and altough I am currently engaged in a OpenGL c++ multiplatform project at school I am not sure if I am up for the job. I think the image histogram is the easiest to implement so if I get any free spare time I'll start experimenting. Would you have some references on how to start using your repository and setup a local test platform. Are there any programming guidelines or documentation available?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 08 Apr 2010 15:44

http://wiki.videolan.org/Git that should explain git. You only need to know clone, commit and format-patch commands.

bluer32
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bluer32 » 08 Oct 2016 23:09

Thanks for three cases of no help at all. "You only need to know clone, commit and format-patch commands."

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”