Ability to mute audio during keywords in subtitles

Feature requests for VLC.
floormat
New Cone
New Cone

Ability to mute audio during keywords in subtitles

Postby floormat » 22 Oct 2009 05:09

Hello all. I realize that time is money but I think that this idea would be of a great benefit to the vlc community as well as bring many new people to this wonderful software

Here is my idea. Why not add the ability to mute the sound and/or shut off the video when certain words in the subtitles come up. They have similar hardware devices that do this but limit the ability of what it can do as well as mostly only have low def connections. Since this would be software, connections would only be limited by the user itself.

A talented scripter could probably do this rather quickly as well. Having a G, PG, PG-13, R etcetera option would be nice for the easy choice but also having the ability to type in any word you would like edited would be nice as well.

Using this with DVD’s blu rays as well as internet videos would be great. If this was added almost for sure a community would develop to offer edited subtitles such as Whatever-pf.sub for a profanity filtered version of the film.

I understand that some object to editing movies and that’s not what I am here to argue. I don’t want to stop anyone from watching the movie they want. Just giving people the opportunity to watch a movie the way they want would be awesome and much appreciated.

Hopefully this gets read by someone on the dev staff and that they see the potential in this addition.

If by chance VLC already has this and I did not notice it or VLC is not interested but there is a competitor that offers this please let me know.

Thank you for such a wonderful product and all your dedication to it. It’s very much appreciated by all of us. Here's hoping this is in the future of VLC
Last edited by floormat on 24 Oct 2009 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: subtitle muting & more

Postby VLC_help » 22 Oct 2009 13:12

This has been requested earlier. And there isn't an international standard for censoring stuff via text file which is causing problems for proper implementation.

floormat
New Cone
New Cone

Re: subtitle muting & more

Postby floormat » 22 Oct 2009 15:12

When you say international standard are you saying an international standard of what are considered offensive words by each country's rating system? If that be the case it could be separated by language and content rating system per country. Granted that would take much time... As well as it is ever changing...

An alternative as well as a preference that could be implemented would be to allow the user to type in a set of words they feel are offensive. Or perhaps a set of check boxes for suggested words to remove in addition to being able to type in what you would like muted. This would work for most cases as well as give liberty to the user to have their preference.

Realistically this is not to make Friday the 13th a kids movie, this is mostly to remove the few unexpected words in family type movies. But hey why not give each user there choice in preference?

If I missed anything here please let me know as well as any further feedback would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”