*FULL* web browser support!!!!1!111!

Feature requests for VLC.
InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

*FULL* web browser support!!!!1!111!

Postby InoSiX » 22 Jul 2009 21:00

I am entirely irritated with my x64 based system. Not only is most software not written for it, some x32 software doesn't function properly with it.

For example, WMP will not open MP3s within web browsers. Instead, I have to download the MP3 and open it manually, a INCREDIBLY ARCHAIC proposition. I cannot reinstall WMP until they come out with a newer version than the one i have installed right now, because on VISTA its integrated into the OS. If I attempt to update to the version they have on the Microsoft website I end up getting a "your version is newer" msg. Quicktime works, but the seek bar that is blacked out. I can't see the progress bar/pause/play button/volume.

I NEED A EMBEDDED MEDIA PLAYER FFS. THIS IS CRAZY HOW LONG x64 BIT SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN OUT AND YET THERE IS STILL REALLY REALLY REALLY DUMB PROBLEMS WITH IT. With VLC I am able to open media up in a browser. Only two problems with it, one of which i can deal with. When I click on a link to listen to say a MP3, I begin to hear the audio. This please me. What pisses me off is the "Waiting for video" line thats displayed in the middle of the browser window. There is never going to be video, so why should this be there? Now, I can live with that problem, simply ignore it. But what I cannot deal with is the utter lack of the ability to control ANYTHING within that page. No volume, no progress bar, no play/pause.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST ADD THIS SO I CAN HAVE A MEDIA PLAYER FOR MY WEB BROWSERS. I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM 4 YEARS AGO WITH MY ANCIENT MACHINE AND I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT NOW WITH BETTER TECHNOLOGY.

P.S. Apologies for the feathers I have just ruffled. I spent good money on this machine and would like it to, at the very least, simple tasks, 'specially ones I have grown accustomed to.

InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

Re: *FULL* web browser support!!!!1!111!

Postby InoSiX » 24 Jul 2009 18:23

I'm bumping this topic, disappointed that it hasn't commented on.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Jul 2009 15:00

What kind of comments you expect to post that has !!!!1!111! in topic?

InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby InoSiX » 29 Jul 2009 00:24

How about "Yeah, thats something that should be worked on". I look through the other requests and I think its silly that a VLC port to PSP would be more commented on than a feature that should already be in the program. I'm sick of attempting to find software for 64 bit systems because of functionality issues with 32 bit software. This isn't difficult, add control buttons to the existing function as is. It already can perform the basic function of actually playing the file, why not control it as well? Seems like something is horribly overlooked.

What annoys me most is that this isn't being addressed by the big names, like Microsoft, or Apple's Quicktime. I just want a simple integrated media player, with basic concepts like pause, volume control and a seek bar. This topic deserves more attention than a lot of these other silly suggestions and it isn't being addressed by those it should be being address by. x64 has been out for a while, and this is a pervasive problem without a solution.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 29 Jul 2009 01:05

I just want a simple integrated media player, with basic concepts like pause, volume control and a seek bar.
OK, well that is a good request (VLC_help's point was that making a long post with "!!!!1!111!" it in and lots of emphasis doesn't make people want to read it).

Presumably you are using Firefox? Currently linking to e.g. a *.mp3 file just uses the default VLC video canvas (hence the "Waiting for video" bit). The reason it was designed like that was so that advanced things such as this could be made:
http://www.revolunet.com/static/downloa ... anced.html

A toolbar for the Mozilla plugin appears to have been written (uses several *.xpm image file icons for play/pause etc. - see here), however I'm not sure of the status of that and whether it works or not.

Oh OK, seems it was disabled as it didn't work on Win32/Mac OS X:

Code: Select all

/* FIXME: Remove this when toolbar functionality has been implemented on  * MacOS X and Win32 for Firefox/Mozilla/Safari. */ 
So a toolbar appears to exist, just the current implementation is broken.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

InoSiX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby InoSiX » 30 Jul 2009 19:50

I think the statement about emphasis with the !!!!1!111! thing is a little off. After all, usually it's the person that cries the loudest gets heard, and would imagine that the topic title would more or less beg to be read, because of its obvious obtuseness. The topic title was more related to my frustration as I had spent nearly 6+ hours researching it and attempting to fix it. There does not seem to be anything *ANYTHING* out there.

It's highly irritating because this "feature" is something that I have become so accustomed to. I can't get anything to work properly. Quicktime plays the file, but the control bar is black, and i really can't make adjustments like that. VLC plays the file, but i can't control it at all :( . Is there a way to have WMP open MP3s also?

btw, i'm actually using chrome, but have been going through each of my browser to see if the "fix" I found actually worked.

kaziem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kaziem » 14 Aug 2009 15:02

If you could share the "fix" you found... I'm bumping into the same problems

fathermocker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fathermocker » 18 Aug 2009 21:33

Me too. It sucks that VLC released the 1.0.0 version without having a decent Mozilla plugin. It's such a cool media player, that's the only thing missing.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 18 Aug 2009 22:52

Please note that VLC is developed by a volunteer project, who mostly work on this in their spare time and only features they need or whose are fun to implement (ever wondered why there are about 30 video filters in VLC including an interactive puzzle game?).
Developing browser plugins is boring and was only done through certain contracts with some companies. If you want this feature, provide patches or ask someone to do so. VLC is a considerably huge project with quite few contributors, so we have to set priorities. Browser plugins don't exactly have a major priority for us at this point, e.g. my top priority is to keep the Mac OS X port a live at all, which is already quite a huge task.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

jeroensky
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.9.8a
Operating System: Windows & Linux

Postby jeroensky » 21 Aug 2009 19:23

I am entirely irritated with my x64 based system. Not only is most software not written for it, some x32 software doesn't function properly with it.

For example, WMP will not open MP3s within web browsers.
I NEED A EMBEDDED MEDIA PLAYER FFS. THIS IS CRAZY HOW LONG x64 BIT SYSTEMS HAVE BEEN OUT AND YET THERE IS STILL REALLY REALLY REALLY DUMB PROBLEMS WITH IT.
Your irritating issue is windows 64bit related. So you're true as long as we got Microsoft windows in mind.

Want to try true 64bit on that 64bit machine? Linux OS is way better in 64bit suport.
Like 64bit vlc, 64bit flash, 64bit browsers and so on. Lots of applications for Linux 64bit that don't exist for windows 64bit.(that's why a windows64bit machine runs mostly 32bit apps) It has to do with Microsoft policy, for application developers it's expensive to build win64 apps. And some windows compilers(programs to build programs) are still 32bit and not (yet) 64bit.
-correct me if i'm wrong, but i experience way more 64bit apps in Linux x64 then in Windows x64-
My mobile {PSP} linksite. .:: http://sites.google.com/site/jeroenskyterritory/ ::.

nikola23
VLC version: 1.2 pre3
Operating System: Win7\Ubuntu 10.10

Postby nikola23 » 22 Aug 2009 02:51

-correct me if i'm wrong, but i experience way more 64bit apps in Linux x64 then in Windows x64-
Agreed, I only have a handful of 64bit windows apps. On linux it seems like a large portion of them are already 64bit and same with mac it seems like every month theres more and more 64bit mac programs.

chudy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chudy » 19 Sep 2009 19:21

Video seek on firefox flv. or perhaps a workaround?

vlc 1.0.1
win7x64

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”