bring back the single editable customize edit box

Feature requests for VLC.
ovendial
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

bring back the single editable customize edit box

Postby ovendial » 07 Jul 2009 08:30

in the advanced open media dialog.

In 1.0.0 this useful edit box where you can type in the mrl and the options has been replaces by two edit boxes. One read-only mrl and one editable for options. What does this accomplish? The point of this advanced field was that you could control vlc as if from a command line if you knew what you wanted. Now you can't get by without switching tabs and interacting with the ui.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: bring back the single editable customize edit box

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Jul 2009 14:35

Not possible for many reasons and bugs, sorry.

But you can customize both easily and I don't see why you need to switch tabs.
Moreover, you have the quick paste dialog with Ctrl+V now.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ovendial
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ovendial » 10 Jul 2009 03:25

Not possible for many reasons and bugs, sorry.

But you can customize both easily and I don't see why you need to switch tabs.
Moreover, you have the quick paste dialog with Ctrl+V now.
What exactly can you customize? You have to switch tabs because the mrl field in not editable so if you want to change the mrl you have to switch to the appropriate tab for the type of mrl.

As far as not being possible, 0.8 and 0.9 had a simple single editable box, clearly it's possible.

PeterHutnick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterHutnick » 20 Oct 2009 00:02

I find this all very confusing.

Using VLC 1.0.2 on MacOS there is a URL bar that populates through the various buttons and knobs. There is also a collapsed MRL field. When the automatically generated URL isn't what I want, I can fix it in the MRL bar. (Unfortunately, the MacOS IP stack doesn't support IGMPv3, so SSM is impossible.)

On windows there is the same URL bar, then there are two MRL bars. One automatically populates. The other stays blank. The implication is that I can copy/paste from the read only MRL bar to the read/write MRL bar, and then edit. When I do this it tries (an fails) to connect to the incorrect MRL from the read only MRL bar. That is to say that anything I enter in the second MRL bar is ignored by VLC.

The problem, specifically, is that VLC likes to stick an at sign in front of the first IP address in a SSM address. Pre-1.0 versions of VLC allow editing of the MRL, and can connect to my multicast.

Where am I going wrong? (Or, if I'm not doing it wrong, when will this be fixed?)

Thanks,
Peter

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”