All my Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.xx upwards

Feature requests for VLC.
vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.0

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 20 Jun 2009 06:20

B. BUG - The windows task bar (XP) keeps displaying everyttime I use the fullscreen controller
Seems to be FIXED now from a nightly Ive justed used (1.0.0-rc4-20090620-0005-win32) :D It was an annoying f-- bug
I will update my bug trac to resolved, in light of this, thank you dev's for the hard work.

Although this is still a small issue:
A. From playing one video to the next through Windows explorer why isn'the VLC application window displaying above other windows instead of not. The only way for me to get VLC window to show when opeing lots of applications/documents is to turn on 'always on top' but this is not what I want, it is just for VLC to show on every new file played individually through windows explorer.
In summary if VLC is behind any other application Window then it would come to the forefront after clicking on a new file in desktop or explorer. The same also for when VLC is minimized to the taskbar it just stays minimized when a new file is clicked and played with a little tray notification (the tray notification I like). ---But VLC should come to the forefront if behind other application windows or maxmimize to custom/existing size if minimized on the taskbar.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

vlc_fan-01

Re: All my Comments/Suggestions for VLC 1.xx upwards

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 20 Jun 2009 22:06

Thank you for making the codec, media information tabs remember the custom window size. Thank you this is more convenient for me in VLC. Thank you.

>> VLC video zoom not working - toggling between window sizes during the video playback is unable in nightly build (vlc-1.0.0-rc4-20090620-0005-win32).

>> VLC devs are probably aware of VLC's slight difficulty in decoding (playback) of 720p AVC1 codec files - audio is fine but video jitters badly. The need for flawless playback of these type of files, like KM Player, is necessary; here is a sample:
http://rapidshare.com/files/246736135/i ... w.com_.mp4

>> Correct the text alignment of the tags 'Date' and 'Track number' in the -media information- tab:

Q. Simple tickbox option to stretch the fullscreen controller across the screen (like a tradional media player fullscreen control) so an option in preferences or on the fullscreen controller so that when enabled/toggled it looks like this:
http://images.videolan.org/vlc/screensh ... reen_1.jpg

R. New feature in the future to "Copy file information" and "Copy Metadata" for both the codec and media information tabs. With "Copy Metadata" all tags within the audio or some video files will be copied, however, there should be user options to enable/disable which exact tags get copied to the clipboard and also in which list order e.g. unticking 'album' 'track' e.g. moved 'comments' tag to the top of the order list above the artist and filename. A small text confirmation on the tab's interface should be shown for when a copy is made to the clipboard (no need for an additional window to appear). An addtional small window should appear for editing which exact tags get copied to the clipboard with the code/Variable flags setting. here is a mock-up mage of what I all mean:

To see full pic, please save or open this image fully
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 30 Jun 2009 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 30 Jun 2009 07:38

S. Support for Custom file icon(s) and icon packages in VLC (much like using skins)

Eventually VLC will get some nice official set of icons to fulfill. Current VLC has no file icons at all which Is what I've been pushing for in lot's of responses to in the QT4 thread. However many times I have found beautiful, sometimes licenced file icons on design sites. Sometimes these icons are for per file type (.mp3, .avi etc) or sometimes there are for file type groupings (all audio, all video etc). So how about a feature accessible in the Preferences under 'interface'>'Skins' to let us custom select/control which icons we associate with files VLC can play. This feature can be much like selecting & using skins. On Windows you can manually assign icons but doing this individually for every file tpye is just not worth the time and also if VLC get's deleted and supported extension removed then that can cause annoying problem.

Nevertheless I still would like to see VLC have official file icons with the releases first!

mock up image made from vlc-1.1.0-git-20090629-2203-win32
the 'Apply' button will be the main link to explorer.exe on Windows

* As seen in mock-up this feature would best integrate with File Associations setup as a feature beneath it, since not many users will use this feature at all.

*Support for full enabling and disabling of this just like using the skins. A tickbox separate from the Apply button.

*Icon Director file - A simple special extension (like example .vlcic) which would be a editable text based file could be planted in the folder of the icons .ico, .dll or .icl , .icns -be a requirement of the user to do. This special file will dictate to VLC>OS which icons are assigned to which filetype(s); example 1: iconA.ico to be assigned to all VLC audio | example 2: iconA.ico to instead be assigned to only custom defined filetypes like .mp3 , .wma , .flac in a vertical text list.
No need for case-sensitivity, no need to add the dot (.) prefix per filetype i without the need to addby just entering

*Icon Director file - Users can just plainly have a folder of .ico files and with creating/editting this text file with the extension or whatever then these .ico files in the folder can become used syetem wide. Any icons made or downloaded by creators. Used by user for private use.

*Last folder opened should be remembered, like regular open dialog. Otherwise a list feature can be added where the icon director file(s) are added to making it nicer for cross-folder loading of file icons and easy frequent swicthing of different file icon(s) or icon packages.

*Possibly but less important - A special image preview of what icons would look like just like the new skins preview image all in the preferences>interface. This will be useable by icon package author's who want to make a small preview image to be read and displayed. This part is less necessary due to the fact that many users would already know the look of the icons they're applying.

==========

T. Setup File Associations needs a more clearer interface window, like the foobar2000 example posted in another thread here.

*I will draw a nice looking mock up image and later post it here, it would suit VLC*

btw Thanks for the visually clearer bigger button for the file associations I see in 1.1 nighties :)
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 04 Jul 2009 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Jul 2009 22:36

Well, you do realise that this would be a lot of bloat for nothing? There are skins for a reason...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 02 Jul 2009 08:26

Well, you do realise that this would be a lot of bloat for nothing? There are skins for a reason...
Thanks for taking the time to comment, by "bloat" your refering to suggestion 'S' the file icons theming suggestion. It would integrate well with either skins or file associations in the preferences especially since VLC still till now has never had it's own proper file icons -of course like most of the features I have put together in this thread expectancy would either be in far future or almost never-sadly.

I like stating my creative idea's on VLC at putting them all in to this thread much like what the other member of this forum did for the QT4 thread all those months ago - love brainstorming :D

Everyone is always welcome to read and comment

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”